BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open for Registration on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted! | Invest for Growth - ADVERTISE with us!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
Boys High School Lax
by Anonymous -
Girls High School Lax
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,802
Posts385,545
Members2,606
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 59 of 83 1 2 57 58 59 60 61 82 83
Re: Girls Spring 2014 High School Varsity Lacrosse
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
I realize it is 'just' high school lax but I think all the teams would benefit from 'power' conferences as you would be playing teams of closer abilities; much like how tournament brackets at travel tournaments try to be. If you have a girl who lights it up day in and day out against the top competition, good for her!
I mentioned this a couple of years ago and that they did this in soccer in Suffolk and wouldn't you know it, Section XI got rid of that league.
We all know that girls get noticed playing travel but that's not gonna stop people's opinions about padding stats or running up the score during hs.

I place the blame on this squarely on the backs of the Athletic Directors on Long Island. As far as lacrosse goes, the only power conference that exists is for girls in Nassau County.

This year teams who had very good success playing on a lower division were moved up into the A division. Personally I'd much rather see a team go .500 in the top division then going undefeated in a lower division and having 12 or 14 blowout wins. Well that is exactly what is going on in Suffolk (boys and girls) and in Nassau boys. Besides out of conference games - the competition in girls in Suffolk is terrible. As an example, Mt. Sinai - a very good team - is 4-0 right now and have had only one really close game a 5-3 win over ESM. MS has 54 goals for and only 18 against. Middle Country is 4-0 and have outscore opponents 76-28. ESM is 4-1 and have outscored 62-27. Huntington is 3-0 and have outscored opponents 42-18.

On the other hand look at some of the lower ranked schools and see how mismatched they are: Walt Whitman, Brentwood, Deer Park, etc.

It's not that hard to figure this out. There are 47 schools in Suffolk. Create 5 divisions:
A - 9 teams
B - 9 Teams
C- 9 Teams
D- 10 Teams
E - 10 Teams

At the end of the year, the bottom 2 teams in A move to B the next year and the top two teams in B move to A. Same thing happens down the line. When playoffs come - everyone goes back to their school sizes and you have power rankings based on performance.

Simple plan - east to enact and easy to track.

Result: closer games, better games and fewer blowouts. Coaches will need to be better and work harder to develop the whole team rather than just 1-2 players.

They implemented a similar plan in Nasssu Girls HS Soccer a few years ago and it alleviated the blowout games. Lacrosse (both school and club) could learn a lot from soccer.

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
You just don't get it!!! Let's say you are a successful business owner who has put in the hard work, long hours and have risen to the top of your industry. Should you sit out for a while and tell your top performers to slow down because it's unfair to the competition? Should you stand by and sandbag until your competition has the chance to to catch up? This is life people. Why is this so difficult to grasp?

the sad reality of our society that is why.these girls and coaches are NOT rubbing it in anyone's face.they just go out and compete.our society is in trouble because of you mommies and daddies. the kids certainly dont have a problem with others scoring. lets be real. how many kids come home and cry to mommy and daddy at the dinner table. most walk away and dont think about it until the next practice or game. and many others will talk about the sick plays these top girls can make and strive to be that same type of player.it is always the mommies and daddies

I'm sorry but you don;t get it. This is not professional sports or even college sports. It's high school girls lacrosse. I have been coaching organized sports at all levels for a long time. This has nothing to do with mommies and daddies. This is all about what sports should be about. Its about teamwork, commitment and hard work. Its about sportsmanship, honoring the game, honoring your opponent.

I've also coached my own kids and I would never let my kids do this - never. In fact I would not let any of my players do this. There is no reason to pour it on and keep scoring when the opponent is clearly mismatched. This is th time to work on other players on the team and empower them to put all of their time and hard work that they have contributed into a game situation.

I'm sorry but to allow your own daughter (or even your own player) rack up 12 goals is gross. 12 of 17 goals - is ridiculous. If you are supposed to be such a great coach - develop more players rather than just your own daughter.

Best post of the discussion by far

Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE
I think your spelling is a bigger DISGRACE!

Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE
U
Welcome to competitive sports! Get used to it. Just take a Look at Limestone's games results:

Beat Emmanuel 20-4
Beat Catawba 22-4
Beat North Greenville 20-1
Beat Erskine 20-0
Beat Coverse 21-3

This is life ladies and gentleman. Not everyone gets a trophy. Get over it.

What you fail to realize is no single kid scored more than 6 goals in any one of those games because the coach is not padding some kids stats . As a matter of fact only in the first blowout did any kid score 6 then they obviously have spread out the scoring. If you are going to use stats at least have a clue .

So the Manhasset kid padded stats with her 6 goals yesterday? Great players score story is beaten to death

16-12 is a little different from 18-4 or any other blowout. Many different scorers for Manhasset yesterday.

Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE
To clarify, I don't think anyone has a prob with someone scoring a lot in a close game when goals are needed to win. Maybe it's selfish, maybe it's necessary to win. But when a game is a blowout and the goals are not needed how can you color that as anything other a shameless attempt to inflate your numbers? Why not rotate the bench in and let them get some experience?

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Powderfinger
To clarify, I don't think anyone has a prob with someone scoring a lot in a close game when goals are needed to win. Maybe it's selfish, maybe it's necessary to win. But when a game is a blowout and the goals are not needed how can you color that as anything other a shameless attempt to inflate your numbers? Why not rotate the bench in and let them get some experience?

This is wasted on most travel parents. They could care less about the team.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Ok so, today Middle Country played Lindenhurst and won 21-8. The 2 sisters for M.C. , both way better players than E.I. girl, older sister 3g 5a, younger sister 4g 0a, either could have scored all 21. 9 different scorers from M.C. Maybe The Levy clan should take lessons from those two

Lol. Both way better? Your high.
Gary Gait from Syracuse seems to disagree. I'll take his opinion over yours any day.

First off I am sure Gait would have gladly taken either sister , that being said they are the wrong kids to use as an example of sportsmanship, they are also stat padders just were apparently held back in this one.
Your right Notre Dame (11)and UNC (2) both suck, If your not going to 'cuse (6), you might as well not go. Or maybe both sisters turned Gait down

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by The Hop
I'm sorry but to allow your own daughter (or even your own player) rack up 12 goals is gross. 12 of 17 goals - is ridiculous. If you are supposed to be such a great coach - develop more players rather than just your own daughter.

There are only 2 people on this planet that would defend padding 12 goals in an easy game and we all know their names... mommy and daddy. You can't even call this an argument because everyone except those 2 people would be in agreement.

Not so sure about that. The lynch mob may pile on but she scored 12 of 17 goals. So what.
Maybe we should also talk about the kids that don't pass and hog the ball and cause their teams to lose. That seams worse doesn't it. There are plenty of them. For example John Glenn. Those parents have voiced their frustration as well.
Just a thought.

Last edited by The Hop; . Reason: Wrong format
User
User
To make it easier to follow see the post below that was combined with the above post. It was meant as a response.

"Sorry but you are just plain wrong on this. The difference is she padded her stats while playing against an overmatched opponent , it's like the big bully picking on the weakling. You have seen the national headlines of coaches being suspended in bball when the out score opponents like 100-0, this is similar . While the ball hogs on bad teams is being z bad teamate it's not unsportsmanlike , picking on and padding your stats against overmatched opponents is and the coach and AD should be embarrassed. I have had many conversations w Steve Levy and I am surprised he would do this , my guess is he feels the pressure to get his daughter the accolades he feels she deserves, the thing is at what cost , is it really worth it."

Back of the Cage
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I realize it is 'just' high school lax but I think all the teams would benefit from 'power' conferences as you would be playing teams of closer abilities; much like how tournament brackets at travel tournaments try to be. If you have a girl who lights it up day in and day out against the top competition, good for her!
I mentioned this a couple of years ago and that they did this in soccer in Suffolk and wouldn't you know it, Section XI got rid of that league.
We all know that girls get noticed playing travel but that's not gonna stop people's opinions about padding stats or running up the score during hs.

I place the blame on this squarely on the backs of the Athletic Directors on Long Island. As far as lacrosse goes, the only power conference that exists is for girls in Nassau County.

This year teams who had very good success playing on a lower division were moved up into the A division. Personally I'd much rather see a team go .500 in the top division then going undefeated in a lower division and having 12 or 14 blowout wins. Well that is exactly what is going on in Suffolk (boys and girls) and in Nassau boys. Besides out of conference games - the competition in girls in Suffolk is terrible. As an example, Mt. Sinai - a very good team - is 4-0 right now and have had only one really close game a 5-3 win over ESM. MS has 54 goals for and only 18 against. Middle Country is 4-0 and have outscore opponents 76-28. ESM is 4-1 and have outscored 62-27. Huntington is 3-0 and have outscored opponents 42-18.

On the other hand look at some of the lower ranked schools and see how mismatched they are: Walt Whitman, Brentwood, Deer Park, etc.

It's not that hard to figure this out. There are 47 schools in Suffolk. Create 5 divisions:
A - 9 teams
B - 9 Teams
C- 9 Teams
D- 10 Teams
E - 10 Teams

At the end of the year, the bottom 2 teams in A move to B the next year and the top two teams in B move to A. Same thing happens down the line. When playoffs come - everyone goes back to their school sizes and you have power rankings based on performance.

Simple plan - east to enact and easy to track.

Result: closer games, better games and fewer blowouts. Coaches will need to be better and work harder to develop the whole team rather than just 1-2 players.

That is sort of how travel soccer works.
My idea was to have the bottom six in each division be in a league with the top two from each division moving up and the bottom two from each division moving to this league.
Having a league with the top 7 from each division would also make for some good lax. From Div 2, I would take MS, ESM, Say, BBP, Hunt, Haup and ? Does anyone want to take who in D1 would be in the league?

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
It's pretty comical. Not 1 person on a website that has a LOT of opinions seems to defend this girls 12 goals... The silence speaks clearly! Bad judgement coach!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Can someone please tell me how the Fatso at Connetquot continues to coach? He knows nothing about lacrosse and is destroying our program!

How can you say that he is a YJ coach he has to know what he is doing

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Of the worst team in the YJ age group. I feel bad for people who pay for him!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
time will tell

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Looking at the stat leaders - Suffolk has a crazy amount of points up top in a lot of blow out games but at least some have more assists that goals. In Nassau all the stat leaders are from weak schools that won't do anything come playoff time.

I find it hard to believe that some of the top 10 stat leaders in both counties have less than 10% of their points from assists, that's were some decent coaching and parenting should kick in with a simple when the team is up by a ton, PASS THE BALL!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Looking at the stat leaders - Suffolk has a crazy amount of points up top in a lot of blow out games but at least some have more assists that goals. In Nassau all the stat leaders are from weak schools that won't do anything come playoff time.

I find it hard to believe that some of the top 10 stat leaders in both counties have less than 10% of their points from assists, that's were some decent coaching and parenting should kick in with a simple when the team is up by a ton, PASS THE BALL!

The whole newsday stat keeping is silly. Where are the ground balls kept, turnovers, caused turnovers, shots??
Maybe those kids are taking 15 shots to score 5 goals which is really not that impressive anyway.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
You are joking you call him a YJ coach. He is not respected by anyone...players included!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
You are joking you call him a YJ coach. He is not respected by anyone...players included!

at what age is fatso a YJ coach

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
you people do realize that it is much harder to record an assist in girls lacrosse than score a goal. lacrosse is not hockey. probably less than 10% of all goals in girls lacrosse are scored off true assists. all those assist stats in newsday are greatly exaggerated anyway. This does not excuse a player from running up their goal total in blowouts, however on some teams a few girls need to score to even keep the game close. This is reality and please don't compare teams like Manhasset to lesser opponents when talking about who scores or how many score. Fact is that the top teams have probably 5-10 players that would be the star on 80% of the HS teams out there and would score all of that teams goals. reality

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
you people do realize that it is much harder to record an assist in girls lacrosse than score a goal. lacrosse is not hockey. probably less than 10% of all goals in girls lacrosse are scored off true assists. all those assist stats in newsday are greatly exaggerated anyway. This does not excuse a player from running up their goal total in blowouts, however on some teams a few girls need to score to even keep the game close. This is reality and please don't compare teams like Manhasset to lesser opponents when talking about who scores or how many score. Fact is that the top teams have probably 5-10 players that would be the star on 80% of the HS teams out there and would score all of that teams goals. reality

I agree. The assist stat is greatly exaggerated! I also agree that stats for HS sports are totally useless. First of all the stats are not done by professionals and totally subjective(assists and saves). Secondly, The level of competition is totally different from league to league. Even within the divisions there is a major difference in strength of schedule! The thing that is often overlooked in the stat padding, is many coaches leave their "stars" in for the entire game regardless of the outcome. So when you are losing by 10 plus and the other team took out all their starters and your best players are still in the game pumping in garbage goals, it really doesn't mean you are that good! There are teams who take their kids out and teams who never do!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Since the assist is much harder to achieve, kudos to the girls with a balanced goal to assist ratio. Better team players with great field vision. Give me a 15-15 girl over a 27-3 girl any day of the week. The 27 goal person would be a black hole!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Since the assist is much harder to achieve, kudos to the girls with a balanced goal to assist ratio. Better team players with great field vision. Give me a 15-15 girl over a 27-3 girl any day of the week. The 27 goal person would be a black hole!

I agree. It is very frustrating when the coach allows the team ball hog to go to the goal every time she touches the ball. Never takes her off even when she rolls her eyes!!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I agree but my point is , that 15-15 girl would probably be a 25-5 on a lesser team. Not making her a ball hog but rather her teams only option in games against better competition. I do not however love or condone a player forcing the ball over and over again

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I agree but my point is , that 15-15 girl would probably be a 25-5 on a lesser team. Not making her a ball hog but rather her teams only option in games against better competition. I do not however love or condone a player forcing the ball over and over again

there actually is someone with a clue on here!!!!!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Can someone please tell me how the Fatso at Connetquot continues to coach? He knows nothing about lacrosse and is destroying our program!

How can you say that he is a YJ coach he has to know what he is doing

Other than the fact that he is obese, what's your problem with his coaching? If you're going to air your dirty laundry,at least be specific.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Rolls her eyes?? What's that about?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

If the 15-15 girl has to go to the cage in some games, she gets a pass by me because her track record is being a team player. The 27-3 will always be about stat padding selfish play and is anything but a team player. When you are big PASS THE BALL!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

If the 15-15 girl has to go to the cage in some games, she gets a pass by me because her track record is being a team player. The 27-3 will always be about stat padding selfish play and is anything but a team player. When you are big PASS THE BALL!

I am sure the 15-15 sleeps easier at night knowing you will give her a pass when she goes to the cage.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
How's the Westhsmpton HS team doing ? I heard they have two of the best players in the country.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Couple of things from Suffolk D2 today.

Mount Sinai won a one goal game vs 'that horrible, or was it terrible' SWR team grin

Haup beat EI 8-4 and held the two touchdown (with no extra points) girl to one goal

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
2020-2021. He is a complete embarrassment!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
He doesn't know the game! And him being obese is a reason his teams are lazy in YJ and HS. He has ZERO track record of success! Why are you defending this man. He's robbing the YJ parents and destroying OUR HS program!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
How's the Westhsmpton HS team doing ? I heard they have two of the best players in the country.

LMAO!!!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I am sure the 15-15 sleeps easier at night knowing you will give her a pass when she goes to the cage.

Hmmm you sound like the parent of a 27-3

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Mount Sinai won a one goal game vs 'that horrible, or was it terrible' SWR team grin

Haup beat EI 8-4 and held the EI girl to one goal

Haup beat EI 8-4 and held the two touchdown (with no extra points) girl to one goal

HOW DID THEY STOP HER?

Last edited by The Hop; .
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
He doesn't know the game! And him being obese is a reason his teams are lazy in YJ and HS. He has ZERO track record of success! Why are you defending this man. He's robbing the YJ parents and destroying OUR HS program!

I don't think I was defending him, as I don't really know him. Just wanted to hear your reasoning other than he's fat.

User
User

HOW DID THEY STOP HER?

The childish negative comments toward the EI player will not be tolerated.

Last edited by The Hop; .

Back of the Cage
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Two of the best kids in the countRY? No

However, they do have one of the best 2020 kids in the counTY. This kid is actually producing.

As far as how the team is doing?? They haven't had any games against the top teams yet. Time will tell.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
They have a few sure losses on the schedule and only 1 easy game left. It will be interesting to see how they do against the 2nd tier clubs.

Oh, and Suffolk really needs to have a league with the teams that are not as skilled because I don't know what these teams are getting from losing 18-3 15-1 etc...

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Two of the best kids in the countRY? No

However, they do have one of the best 2020 kids in the counTY. This kid is actually producing.

As far as how the team is doing?? They haven't had any games against the top teams yet. Time will tell.

Lighten up Frances

Page 59 of 83 1 2 57 58 59 60 61 82 83

Link Copied to Clipboard