BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open for Registration on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted! | Invest for Growth - ADVERTISE with us!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
Boys High School
by Anonymous -
Girls High School
by Anonymous -
Girls High School Lax
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,802
Posts385,621
Members2,606
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 33 of 52 1 2 31 32 33 34 35 51 52
Re: Boys 2018 Fall 2014/Summer 2015
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
A must event? really

Yes, if you're kid stands out. Just read twitter and all standouts are mentioned and at the end they'll likely be a larger write up. Those write ups have recruiting value. And that's just the tryout. Then they'll be the actually Jake Reed event with the coaches and social media coverage. So, again, "really" if you think your kid can stand out, it is a must recruiting event. That said, this stuff will drive us all nuts.

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Probably more like 600 kids for 50 spots. Many received direct invites.

I was told no direct invites for 2019 age group and that all players must try out in Florida. If they play well they will get a letter thereafter...

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
THANKS for all of the input regarding 3d.

Once my 2019 son returns, I will be happy to post how it went. I was happy we submitted his application and he was invited to go. I feel fortunate that as parents, we are working hard to be able to afford the time and money it is going to take to go through this process.

My son is looking forward to seeing what talent is out there and what he is up against as a player. He is on a top team, has good grades, trains all year round, practices with his team, has great coaches to learn from but so does every boy who is heading down to 3d to play.

The entire experience, from missing school and making up his work, to going through the entire 3d weekend will be a great lesson for him and us.

We are using this opportunity to really open his eyes to see what lies ahead of him in terms of hard work and dedication to school and lacrosse if he wants to play in college.

As parents, we are providing the financial resources to get him there and the moral support he will need to get him through the weekend, the real work will be up to him.

Wishing all the boys good health and good luck this winter.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
A must event? really

Yes, if you're kid stands out. Just read twitter and all standouts are mentioned and at the end they'll likely be a larger write up. Those write ups have recruiting value. And that's just the tryout. Then they'll be the actually Jake Reed event with the coaches and social media coverage. So, again, "really" if you think your kid can stand out, it is a must recruiting event. That said, this stuff will drive us all nuts.

JR is NOT a "must" event and the opinions of Casey Vock and Ty Xanders have absolutely no recruiting value. Many of the top 2018 commits never attended JR last summer. If your son plays on a top team that is attending top tournaments then you don't need it. The top programs are at Platinum and Big 4 and a few others. If your kid is a top 20 talent, he will be recruited immediately and thus doesn't need JR. If he is more like a top 20 thru 100 player, then the upcoming fall is more important. Again, JR not a must, in fact making Philly freshmen the must. If your son falls inline after the top 100, then Maverik would become your "must". JR is nice and a lot of top players are there, along with quite a few coaches, but nothing like Philly or Maverik, or even JR rising sophs. Definitely not a "must". Also, if you feel that any coaches give damn about anything Vock or Xanders say, you are sadly mistaken. Pretty well known a large chunk of what they write is from program directors/club coaches. Sometimes they show up and watch a few minutes of a game and all of a sudden they have a kid pegged. Great for little Johnny's ego (probably more for parents ego), but meaningless for coaches. Coaches will watch your kid and either they like him or they don't.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
A must event? really

JR is NOT a "must" event and the opinions of Casey Vock and Ty Xanders have absolutely no recruiting value. Many of the top 2018 commits never attended JR last summer. If your son plays on a top team that is attending top tournaments then you don't need it. The top programs are at Platinum and Big 4 and a few others. If your kid is a top 20 talent, he will be recruited immediately and thus doesn't need JR. If he is more like a top 20 thru 100 player, then the upcoming fall is more important. Again, JR not a must, in fact making Philly freshmen the must. If your son falls inline after the top 100, then Maverik would become your "must". JR is nice and a lot of top players are there, along with quite a few coaches, but nothing like Philly or Maverik, or even JR rising sophs. Definitely not a "must". Also, if you feel that any coaches give damn about anything Vock or Xanders say, you are sadly mistaken. Pretty well known a large chunk of what they write is from program directors/club coaches. Sometimes they show up and watch a few minutes of a game and all of a sudden they have a kid pegged. Great for little Johnny's ego (probably more for parents ego), but meaningless for coaches. Coaches will watch your kid and either they like him or they don't.

Everyone knows Maverick much more important than JR. MUCH more elite

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
None of those showcases are worth it anymore. JR used to be one session, the best 140 kids in 3 HS classes and that was it. You knew it was unique and knew it was elite. Adrenaline events are the best run, but they are WCS team bias and then throw ins for clubs close to WCS. Maverick is the big one for LI and other Northeast clubs and kids, and then throw ins for clubs close to the Cuse dudes who run it. 3d is the most business like and most accessible, but is 3d home team biased with throw ins. There are also other vendors trying to line up like NXT with the Philly showcase, which is also HHH/Big 4/Dukes/main line prep school heavy, then throw ins with clubs close to the NXT administrators. Then there is Nike Ride, then there is Inside Lacrosse, then there is...you get it.

The showcase scene has blown up in the last 2 years and is VERY VERY diluted all over the place, so the likelihood the best of the best will take the field together even at different sessions of the same garbage is ZERO. Going to 2, 3, 4 or 5 of these things is "spray and pray" approach that serves the wallets on the other side very well, and you barely at all.

Maverick is better than JR isn't saying much frankly, maybe just that a great talent density is in LI and in other TriState areas. I think these are all supplements, but hardly the places where your son will be seen by a coach who would not also see him at various other club tournament events if your son plays on a competitive club. Spend your money on instructional development and on prospect days at colleges your son would like to attend.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
A must event? really

twitter stand outs mean nothing, there were a few players last year that were listed as standouts and still did not get into JR, twitter is just a place for someone to express their own opinions, if you child plays hard and doesn't mess up, there is a good chance he will get noticed by the evaluators. CV is not an evaluator, he is a paid to express his opinions on twitter by 3d.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I was told no direct invites for 2019 age group and that all players must try out in Florida. If they play well they will get a letter thereafter...

That is what Jamie Munro and company read from a script every time, and it is both surprising and disappointing that they are not more forthright. There are a lot of direct invites. Our son's club gets 4-5 direct appointments each year for each class based on the owner's relationship with JR. JR's last influence on this now all corporate show is that...he can steer direct appointments and he does. The 3d party line is to emphasize that this is 100% merit based and you must go to Florida and pay up. That is good for business, and if they let be known that is an audition only camp with long odds, would that be good for business? NO. Honest, yes, good for business, NO.

I'd gain a bit more respect for these hit and run showcase guys if they had an ounce of integrity to select the best players, and to also just stop lying to every fresh batch of 9th grade parents like you guys this year and the 2019s next year and the 2020s after that.

I have a 2020 son and take upon myself to let parents know what a tremendous waste of money is having gone all in for it once. Yes my son got a D1 opportunity, but he also would have gotten that if we had done a fraction of this showcase garbage. Play on a good team and stand out at club tournaments. Be brutal on your club. Tell them if they won't stop selling you this lax bro garbage to pay their buddies at Maverick, JR, etc. and if they don't start advocating you direct to the NCAA coaches, then you will go find club lacrosse somewhere else. Right now lacrosse parents are all rats who won't jump off flooding ships when pressured to wave a credit card 12-15 times a year to "Get noticed"...take it from someone who got rocked once and has something else to say about it. Disagree all you want, but going to 4-6 showcases will not make your son a good lacrosse recruit. Playing lacrosse at a high level for his club team will.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Some good perspectives above.

From numerous posts, it sounds like if your kid is "good enough" and the school seems like a good non-lacrosse fit, prospect days are a good way to be seen. Make contact beforehand, etc. If kid's not good enough, they don't seem like any more of a waste of money than any other event and kid gets to see the campus, etc. I'm not from a hotbed, but still a lot of good schools within driving distance.

That said, others have posted that being on a good club team that plays in good tournaments is all you need. So, my question is how good of team and how elite of tournaments is necessary to make this true? Even if my kid was good enough, we don't have the Crabs or Team 91 in our backyard. Does one need to maneuver to get your kid on a distant all-star team like Duke's that is loaded but doesn't really practice together? Or is a regional travel team that can't compete with the Duke's, Sweetlax, Team 91 or Crabs, etc., but can compete - even if not win - against the next level down of teams good enough? I assume the club team has to be good enough to at least play tournaments in the NJ-PA-Md area without being blown out.

Even regional club teams spout off a decent amount of BS of how they will get your son seen in order to justify their costs, only to go to tournaments where there are no coaches on the sidelines. When outside a hotbed, I think a parent needs to learn enough to judge for himself/herself, but easier said than done.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

That is what Jamie Munro and company read from a script every time, and it is both surprising and disappointing that they are not more forthright. There are a lot of direct invites. Our son's club gets 4-5 direct appointments each year for each class based on the owner's relationship with JR. JR's last influence on this now all corporate show is that...he can steer direct appointments and he does. The 3d party line is to emphasize that this is 100% merit based and you must go to Florida and pay up. That is good for business, and if they let be known that is an audition only camp with long odds, would that be good for business? NO. Honest, yes, good for business, NO.

I'd gain a bit more respect for these hit and run showcase guys if they had an ounce of integrity to select the best players, and to also just stop lying to every fresh batch of 9th grade parents like you guys this year and the 2019s next year and the 2020s after that.

I have a 2020 son and take upon myself to let parents know what a tremendous waste of money is having gone all in for it once. Yes my son got a D1 opportunity, but he also would have gotten that if we had done a fraction of this showcase garbage. Play on a good team and stand out at club tournaments. Be brutal on your club. Tell them if they won't stop selling you this lax bro garbage to pay their buddies at Maverick, JR, etc. and if they don't start advocating you direct to the NCAA coaches, then you will go find club lacrosse somewhere else. Right now lacrosse parents are all rats who won't jump off flooding ships when pressured to wave a credit card 12-15 times a year to "Get noticed"...take it from someone who got rocked once and has something else to say about it. Disagree all you want, but going to 4-6 showcases will not make your son a good lacrosse recruit. Playing lacrosse at a high level for his club team will.

Rising freshman (2019) have ZERO direct invites, last year every player at JR rising freshman attended 3D in Florida including club coaches kids that surely would have received a direct invite, a few years ago a D1 head coach's son went to 3D as a rising freshman looking for an invite. what you are saying about the other years is correct half are direct invite and half are from 3D - all of these showcases have enough negative things to say about them, you do not have to make anything up.

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Looking for information regarding college prospect camps. I have a 2019 rising freshman.

How do I go about getting an applicaition?
Should I be contacting or he be contacting the athletic dept of a school????

Example: 2019 Attackman would love to attend ND. How do I go about having him apply to camps at colleges????

I am off today and read a lot of interesting info here on BOTC about 3d and showcases. Hope to hear from all who have gone through this process recently.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Looking for information regarding college prospect camps. I have a 2019 rising freshman.

How do I go about getting an applicaition?
Should I be contacting or he be contacting the athletic dept of a school????

Example: 2019 Attackman would love to attend ND. How do I go about having him apply to camps at colleges????

I am off today and read a lot of interesting info here on BOTC about 3d and showcases. Hope to hear from all who have gone through this process recently.

Each school usually has one assistant coach in charge of recruiting send them an e-mail (gbyrne1@nd.edu) or just send e-mail to entire coaching staff you WILL get invitations to prospect days. Go to team web site and fill out recruiting questionnaire that most schools have and you will get prospect camp - have your club team coach call and tell them your son is interested in a particular school.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Go to your son's club coach and owner with a list of schools he may be interested in. He's an 8th grader not even in high school, but neither here or there, so you will need some guidance through it and remember that NCAA rules prohibit coaches from emailing or calling kids or you, so the club is your conduit. Every club coach and owner should be informed about prospect days at the colleges which have them, and should be letting you know about them in advance. This does not apply for you until next fall anyways, but get prepared. These things are a free for all, so if you don't get a head's up one is announced, even a few days can cost you a chance to enroll before it is full. Second, I'd ask for and welcome a reality check from your coach and club owner. If the kid is a great student, are you really going in for Delaware, Denver or High Point just to chase the D1 spot? If your kid is not a great student, is ND and Duke or Princeton really a logical strategy? Now a lot of that is must impossible to an extent because he's not even in high school or has he sat for a needed standardized test. Considering 60+ D1 schools is a bad start, and a money hole. Know what you want, ask if what you want is obtainable and then see how it goes. It helps when you are in 9th grade to know if you are interested in 3-5 of them, and if that interest is mutual.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Go to your son's club coach and owner with a list of schools he may be interested in. He's an 8th grader not even in high school, but neither here or there, so you will need some guidance through it and remember that NCAA rules prohibit coaches from emailing or calling kids or you, so the club is your conduit. Every club coach and owner should be informed about prospect days at the colleges which have them, and should be letting you know about them in advance. This does not apply for you until next fall anyways, but get prepared. These things are a free for all, so if you don't get a head's up one is announced, even a few days can cost you a chance to enroll before it is full. Second, I'd ask for and welcome a reality check from your coach and club owner. If the kid is a great student, are you really going in for Delaware, Denver or High Point just to chase the D1 spot? If your kid is not a great student, is ND and Duke or Princeton really a logical strategy? Now a lot of that is must impossible to an extent because he's not even in high school or has he sat for a needed standardized test. Considering 60+ D1 schools is a bad start, and a money hole. Know what you want, ask if what you want is obtainable and then see how it goes. It helps when you are in 9th grade to know if you are interested in 3-5 of them, and if that interest is mutual.

THANK YOU for your insight. As parents going through this for the first time, we are in need of wisdom from those of you who have done this in the past. We are trying to put into place the best path to follow as far as navigating through the system called early recruiting.

By learning from your trials and errors (2018 parents) because you are the ones having sons going through this now, we are hopefully putting together what turns out to be a good portfolio of sorts.

Our son is concentrating on school and getting GREAT grades. That is his first priority. He has a gift, so we have been told, and as he is our oldest and first son to go through this process for lacrosse, so we are looking to the parents who are in the trenches now, able to let us know what mistakes not to make. So your input is much appreciated.

As you stated, getting information one day too late could mean not having a chance to enroll for a recruit day.

Crazy as it sounds, HS is only a semester away. His club team has the schedule for fall tournaments already.

Our son is learning from his trainers and coaches that GREAT grades and GREAT lax schools go hand in hand. Without the grades, school offers are few and far between. His future HS coach has been speaking with him, which makes us very happy. His club coaches are preoparing him for upcoming showcases. He will be in LarryMiller next week. We are using 3d as a jumping point. As parents we will listen and as a player he will be able to see just what competition he is up against.

Your points were well made and were received. Thank you for your time.

We have a HS junior being actively recruited for basketball. It is nothing like lax recruiting. An offer to play ball for a low D1 school will cover full tuition, board, books and travel home 4 times a year. Our AAU coach has 20 years of experience and fully invested in each of his players getting a full scholarship to play.

THANK YOU ALL AGAIN. The 2019 thread is not able to focus on anything lacrosse related anymore. Truthfully, even if it was, the 2019 parents cannot just say, great for your kid, here is what we found out, good luck, hey, how did your son get to do that???

Instead they pass snarky remarks and complain.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
All advice from prior poster is exactly what I would have said and what we followed. Mine did commit early but unlike your basketball son, you should be thinking more like 25-50% of tuition and room and board in lax. No trips home and no books at least in our case.

I have heard stories about full rides in lax, but none were offered to mine.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
There may be some full rides out there. With 12.6 a coach can basically swing for the fences on what he determines to be the recruits he will win with or be fired. My guess is most coaches amortize it over most the roster. Lacrosse parents are so status obsessed many will go in for $5000 only to be able to tell anyone who will listen junior got a full ride. I've never met a lacrosse parent of a D1 committed kid who didn't claim their kid was getting a full boat. Full boat of b.s. is my guess. Our experience with some top programs was a range between 15% and 35% of the tuition costs. Our son was a top player, how up there I'll never know but that was our experience. We are Virginia in-state, and UVa licks their chops at in-state recruits since the tuition is only a little over $10K. So they offer $1000 a year for a Virginia kid and never stop talking about what a bargain that is over out-of-state or private schools offering decent %s. And they are right.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Mine got the 30% number, not full by any means, now you have met one...

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
A large amount of D1 lax players get no money at all. The parents are happy to pay full everything to say that there kid is a D1 athlete and that he is getting a full ride. That is the pathetic and sad truth about this sport in 2015.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Full rides do happen but there are very few. I personally know of 2 in this class and there may be a couple others that I'm unaware of. It is a very rare occurrence and happens only with who the coaches perceive to be the best at their positions. It is also true that a great many recruits only get 10-15% or below and a very good recruit will get 30-50% on average. Bottom line - scholarship money is all over the board. It can be zero all the way up to 100% in rare cases. It depends on several things which include different situations.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
most kids get more academic and need based money then athletic money

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
you are going to send your kid to school either way so use lacrosse to get in to a better school then you could have gotten into without it.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
you are going to send your kid to school either way so use lacrosse to get in to a better school then you could have gotten into without it.

Best advice on this board and the only point of all this madness

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
West Point = full ride.Diploma is probably second only to ivies.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
West Point = full ride.Diploma is probably second only to ivies.

And then a 5 year commitment but that is good for the right kid

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Full rides do happen but there are very few. I personally know of 2 in this class and there may be a couple others that I'm unaware of. It is a very rare occurrence and happens only with who the coaches perceive to be the best at their positions. It is also true that a great many recruits only get 10-15% or below and a very good recruit will get 30-50% on average. Bottom line - scholarship money is all over the board. It can be zero all the way up to 100% in rare cases. It depends on several things which include different situations.

ABSOLUTELY FALSE ON FULL RIDE WITH EXCEPTION TO MILITARY ACADEMY. ANYONE TELLS YOU DIFFERENT THE ARE GRUBERING YOU.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
We know a number of current UVa lacrosse families of kids who came out of IAC or WCAC HS programs, and most of these kids toggled close to zero money to go there if they were in-state. Many of those families wet dreamed of junior being a Wahoo, and to boot it is a very very good school for the money if you are a Virginian. I would not be shocked if Syracuse and UMD milked the same intrinsic benefits for in-staters for their programs, but I am not close enough to those places to assert that. I think lacrosse coaches are spend-thrifts. If you give out a stench of proud D1 lacrosse daddy to be and they can size you up as middle class or better, believe me there is blood in the water and they will low ball the living daylights out of the offer to your kid. With only 12.6 to work, any possibilities of handing out what is called a "cocktail party scholarship" where they give you a little and know that is plenty good for you to take to the adult parties as humble parental braggers claiming full boats to anyone who will listen. Happens all the time.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
ABSOLUTELY FALSE ON FULL RIDE WITH EXCEPTION TO MILITARY ACADEMY. ANYONE TELLS YOU DIFFERENT THE ARE GRUBERING YOU. [/quote]

"Grubering" Someone teach you a new word today? (and before you enlighten me, I know what it means) Full rides are rare, but full rides exist if you have the grades and the skills.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
My son is 2018 player with a 2000 birthyear; ie, not a holdback, who is verbally committed. We spent the Summer and Fall on the tournament and camp circuit; below are my observations on some of the points that get debated on this site. These are my observations, my perspective of the truth, and I understand others may have a very different experience or point of view, but here we go:

1. Age matters a lot - in the tournaments and at the camps. All Star games and prospect camps are dominated by players who are a year or two older. Age/grade appropriate boys who haven't gotten through or started puberty are not going to get looked at until they can compete physically with the older boys. It is legal, it may or may not be fair, but it's the reality of 9th grade lacrosse, where 2000 birth years regularly compete against 1998 birthyears for the same coaches attention.

2. Camps are worthwhile if your son gets an introduction to the coaching staff and hopefully a visit. The camps say a lot about the schools in how they are organized and run. If you go to a camp with a hundred other boys and your club or high school coach hasn't spoken to the college coaching staff, then know going in your son is not one of the boys they're looking at. It may be good experience, but they're not focussing on your son.

3. What club team your son plays on is really important. You will hear that it's better to play on a weak team and be a star than to play on a strong team and be one of several very good players - that isn't true. The coaches aren't watching the 23rd best team at fl$ in 3d next Summer; they just aren't. They are going to watch carefully a handful of the best teams in the age group - that is where they spend the lion's share of their time. Winning matters; winning games matters; advancing in tournaments matters - college coaches go watch the players on the best teams - the best teams win games - everything else is a rationalization - get your son on the best possible team, with the best possible coach. My son's 2018 team is one of those teams and it made a huge difference to be on that team for him.
4. Your high school coach matters a lot. Many of the colleges won't speak with your club coach - they want to hear from your high school coach and will only work through him, as they think the club coaches are too biased.
5. Half the dads you're speaking with are making it up, in terms of how interested colleges are in their son. Take all those sideline comments with a big grain of salt so you can enjoy the game - a lot of what you hear is what someone is hoping will happen, not what is actually happening.
6. There are a lot of very good players out there, and the numbers are overwhelming the coaches. This sport is exploding in terms of the number of participants, and the recruiting process is not keeping pace. College coaches are inundated with parent and player requests for time and offers. If you don't hear back right away, don't panic - that coch is getting 10 calls a day from parents/players asking to commit to the school. When your son is really interested in one or two schools, get focussed on those schools with your coaches and make sure the colleges know how interested your son is in them - that will help a lot.

7. Social media puts a lot of pressure on your son. He knows every kid who commits the minute it happens. You may not be interested in real time updates, but your son is all over it and this will put a lot of pressure on him.

Those are some of my thoughts - I hope they help those gearing up for the process.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
ABSOLUTELY FALSE ON FULL RIDE WITH EXCEPTION TO MILITARY ACADEMY. ANYONE TELLS YOU DIFFERENT THE ARE GRUBERING YOU.

"Grubering" Someone teach you a new word today? (and before you enlighten me, I know what it means) Full rides are rare, but full rides exist if you have the grades and the skills. [/quote]

'Grubering' is in reference to an MIT professor who, on video, stated how he helped the president deceive the public.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I know someone who is getting full ride just has to pay for books.
be a top 10 recruit and not go to top 10 school they will offer you a lot
Or be a true d1 player and go to d2 school with great grades and the will pay

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
My son is 2018 player with a 2000 birthyear; ie, not a holdback, who is verbally committed. We spent the Summer and Fall on the tournament and camp circuit; below are my observations on some of the points that get debated on this site. These are my observations, my perspective of the truth, and I understand others may have a very different experience or point of view, but here we go:

1. Age matters a lot - in the tournaments and at the camps. All Star games and prospect camps are dominated by players who are a year or two older. Age/grade appropriate boys who haven't gotten through or started puberty are not going to get looked at until they can compete physically with the older boys. It is legal, it may or may not be fair, but it's the reality of 9th grade lacrosse, where 2000 birth years regularly compete against 1998 birthyears for the same coaches attention.

2. Camps are worthwhile if your son gets an introduction to the coaching staff and hopefully a visit. The camps say a lot about the schools in how they are organized and run. If you go to a camp with a hundred other boys and your club or high school coach hasn't spoken to the college coaching staff, then know going in your son is not one of the boys they're looking at. It may be good experience, but they're not focussing on your son.

3. What club team your son plays on is really important. You will hear that it's better to play on a weak team and be a star than to play on a strong team and be one of several very good players - that isn't true. The coaches aren't watching the 23rd best team at fl$ in 3d next Summer; they just aren't. They are going to watch carefully a handful of the best teams in the age group - that is where they spend the lion's share of their time. Winning matters; winning games matters; advancing in tournaments matters - college coaches go watch the players on the best teams - the best teams win games - everything else is a rationalization - get your son on the best possible team, with the best possible coach. My son's 2018 team is one of those teams and it made a huge difference to be on that team for him.
4. Your high school coach matters a lot. Many of the colleges won't speak with your club coach - they want to hear from your high school coach and will only work through him, as they think the club coaches are too biased.
5. Half the dads you're speaking with are making it up, in terms of how interested colleges are in their son. Take all those sideline comments with a big grain of salt so you can enjoy the game - a lot of what you hear is what someone is hoping will happen, not what is actually happening.
6. There are a lot of very good players out there, and the numbers are overwhelming the coaches. This sport is exploding in terms of the number of participants, and the recruiting process is not keeping pace. College coaches are inundated with parent and player requests for time and offers. If you don't hear back right away, don't panic - that coch is getting 10 calls a day from parents/players asking to commit to the school. When your son is really interested in one or two schools, get focussed on those schools with your coaches and make sure the colleges know how interested your son is in them - that will help a lot.

7. Social media puts a lot of pressure on your son. He knows every kid who commits the minute it happens. You may not be interested in real time updates, but your son is all over it and this will put a lot of pressure on him.

Those are some of my thoughts - I hope they help those gearing up for the process.

Single best post on the subject on BOTC - I am in the exact same boat and agree 100% the only thing I would add is on #3 your club team - If you are not going to be a top player on a top club team then you are not going to be an early commit - if you are not on man up or man down chances are you are not going to be making a verbal in 9th grade so just relax keep working we have all seen travel teams with 15 - 20 D1 commits just not all of them go early

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Very informative: I believe most of it
In my sons case it was better to be on second tier team. he learned more how to be leader of his team.
If your son is young it is hard to compete
Social media is killing these kids with the verbal's
Keep on going to showcases it only takes one good one to get noticed. It was 3 showcase that my son got noticed.
Two to 3 teams are interested in him. Problem is it is very hard to gage how much interest they have. Almost like a chess match. Is kid really interested (Coach)or is school really interested (Parents)
How do you gage level of interest- hate to waste time on school that takes another kid instead of your son
Any advice from parents who kid verbal would be greatly appreciated

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Good luck with the three schools with interest in your son. I spent weeks trying to figure out the level of interest different schools had in my son, as you are trying to do. High school coach had a different read from the club coach; what my son heard on a coaches call was different at times too. I have a couple of thoughts for you, first make sure your club/HS coach is telling you the truth, not what you want to hear. Club coaches are under huge pressure, to deliver on the promises they make to get boys to play for them re commitments and an easy way to get anxious parents off their back is to say 'college x is interested in your son' - that makes your ride home from the tourney/camp a lot better, but it may not be the truth. Overpromising by coaches hurts you in the long run, because you keep wondering why the offer hasn't come if college x is so interested. You have every right to ask the HS/ club coach a lot of questions about timing, interest, where your son is rated by the college, what more they need to see, scholarship money, etc - the more detailed the answer back to you, the more interested that school is in your son. If your son really wants to go to one of those three schools, then make sure they and the coaches know it - the colleges want to make offers to boys who have a high chance of accepting, and it is to your son's advantage to let the college know his high degree of interest in them too. Being coy doesn't work - be direct if he and you have a strong point of view to cut through the chatter.

User
User
Good luck with the three schools with interest in your son. I spent weeks trying to figure out the level of interest different schools had in my son, as you are trying to do. High school coach had a different read from the club coach; what my son heard on a coaches call was different at times too. I have a couple of thoughts for you, first make sure your club/HS coach is telling you the truth, not what you want to hear. Club coaches are under huge pressure, to deliver on the promises they make to get boys to play for them re commitments and an easy way to get anxious parents off their back is to say 'college x is interested in your son' - that makes your ride home from the tourney/camp a lot better, but it may not be the truth. Overpromising by coaches hurts you in the long run, because you keep wondering why the offer hasn't come if college x is so interested. You have every right to ask the HS/ club coach a lot of questions about timing, interest, where your son is rated by the college, what more they need to see, scholarship money, etc - the more detailed the answer back to you, the more interested that school is in your son. If your son really wants to go to one of those three schools, then make sure they and the coaches know it - the colleges want to make offers to boys who have a high chance of accepting, and it is to your son's advantage to let the college know his high degree of interest in them too. Being coy doesn't work - be direct if he and you have a strong point of view to cut through the chatter.

Excellent post!

Back of the Cage
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
What are peoples opinion of the Ted Spencer Blue Chip Elite Division?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Looking to 2018 parents who have traveled to JR Camp in LarryMiller and had your son come home with an invitation to attend the JR Blue Chip Camp in July.

We are heading down this weekend as a 2019 player/parent and have heard that since this was the last weekend, not to expect much.

It was my understanding that LI players are considered Mid-Atlantic Region players according to JR. I did see some upper classman registered as North East players for JR even though they played for SMithtown, Massapequa, Garden City or Chaminade.

Who has some insight for me?

Does it make a difference which region I registered my son for? I was told I could select any weekend if there were openings. I was also told LI players are Mid-Atlantic.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
How is it determined who is in elite or varsity?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Elite or varsity groups are for Ted Spencer Blue chip 225. Not Jake Reed.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Looking to 2018 parents who have traveled to JR Camp in LarryMiller and had your son come home with an invitation to attend the JR Blue Chip Camp in July.

We are heading down this weekend as a 2019 player/parent and have heard that since this was the last weekend, not to expect much.

It was my understanding that LI players are considered Mid-Atlantic Region players according to JR. I did see some upper classman registered as North East players for JR even though they played for SMithtown, Massapequa, Garden City or Chaminade.

Who has some insight for me?

Does it make a difference which region I registered my son for? I was told I could select any weekend if there were openings. I was also told LI players are Mid-Atlantic.

It does not make a difference, your son is fine attending this week. Many LI players were there in early Jan, but it is not necessarily a better week end. There were many strong players there, but I am sure there will be many there this week end as well. They all have a shot of receiving an invitation. This event is getting confused with Blue Chip 225. Do not worry about invitations just yet- just have your boy play his best. All you can ask for. Enjoy!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Here is a thought:

It would be great if 2018 and above veteran parents can give a talk to 2019 parents regarding all of the showcases which are out there.

Would love to have a get together at a bar one sunday evening to go over all of this, now, while applications are being accepted before money is due to secure a spot for my son.

Plenty of libraries and bars have space open.

Page 33 of 52 1 2 31 32 33 34 35 51 52

Link Copied to Clipboard