BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open for Registration on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted! | Invest for Growth - ADVERTISE with us!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
Girls High School
by Anonymous -
Boys High School
by Anonymous -
Boys High School Lax
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,813
Posts387,111
Members2,608
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 32 of 52 1 2 30 31 32 33 34 51 52
Re: Boys 2018 Fall 2014/Summer 2015
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
All about heart! Those 6'2" 6'4" defenseman do have a hard time against those 5'6 to 5'9" attack. Sorry Sankey is 5'5". Guys can't hang with him.

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Couldn't agree more..Kavanaugh most exciting attackman in country not named Thompson last year..it's about the heart not the height

I vote Kevin Rice over Kav

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Maybe he should talk to the Duke coach!!! Things seemed to work a lot better for him with the shorties!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Pannell is 5'10 and Manny is 5'9. Those are examples of gritty, albiet already undersized in the new order, lacrosse attackmen. Remember, the MLL you see today or and the college game you see today is the product of hotbed only kids who came up BEFORE the game blew up in other geographic regions. Taking it down to 5'5 is an extreme of the extremes for the Pannell / Manny generation, and now in the college game Sankey and Cavanaugh may be the last of the waterbugs. This is just my guess, maybe you are right with a point that this game can be played where a high IQ and fast kid that small can still play with poles 9-12 inches taller. And that whole can't play lacrosse looking down at the chest of a defender is pretty silly. Those lacrosse All-Americans of yester-year wouldn't be D1 prospects today.

I did make the genetics comment. Obviously some disagree, and of course some great athletes are born into non-athlete families. My point was insofar as early recruiting is concerned, D1 lacrosse coaches seem to be off the grid too far grabbing those lights out little U-15 kids whose parents are also unathletic twerps. If you are going to project, do it with some better data. But maybe you and the college lacrosse coaches are all right, and the football recruiters from SEC, Big 10, Pac 12, etc have it all wrong and size, strength, speed taken together as a baseline have absolutely nothing to do with it.

And to be perfectly fair, a lot of defensive lacrosse dads who played some a generation ago love to point out about junior's lacrosse pedigree, IQ he inherited from pops are a principal reason why colleges should only recruit from LI or MD. You think your kids inherit lacrosse brains but not your physical make-ups? Stand up on a couple of phone books and answer that one for us. We'd love to hear again about how lacrosse IQ and being sired by someone who played for SUNY Bingo back in the day somehow translates but the physical attributes do not.

I will take it a step further for all of you ex Lax studs from yesteryear, Most schools (aside from Manhasset,GC and WM) lacrosse was a sport played by kids who didn't make the baseball team! You were most likely way down on the athletic totem pole in your school! I am not saying there were NO good athletes who played lax but the majority were flat out baseball rejects! So you can tell anyone you want how great you were against the other cast off's, but YOU know how it really was back then!

The lax studs at WM all played football as well in the early 80s. Fact. And the 5'5" soyosset attackman committed to Hopkins was also a STUD running back on state champ soyosset football team. BAM!

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
You're delusional. 95% of high schools had lacrosse in the 80's you sound silly now. Guess you were a baseball player.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Hopkins recently recruited 5'5"Fogo from Whitman. They say he's one of the best on the Island

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
3d Anyone????

Many of you who have attended with your older sons, please enlighten me/us.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
[quote=Anonymous]3d Anyone????

[/quote

Money grabbing at its best.
Take the money and buy powerball tickets.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
3d is a waste of time and money.

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Hopkins recently recruited 5'5"Fogo from Whitman. They say he's one of the best on the Island

He is one of the best. There are two others at the same level, one from the city that plays for 91 and one from express. I think all three are already committed (with 91 kid going to Duke but not announced).

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
What will happen to Lacrosse in D-1.

http://shar.es/1bfDf5

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

[/quote

If you can get a direct invite , go! Otherwise, big money grab!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

[/quote

Many of the 2018 kids who went to Jake Reed last year did not get a direct invite, the system is broken. 3d Blue Chip is well run and fun as long as the weather is warm. Let's stop this nonsense about 'money grab', what organzation isn't trying to make money when they run a business.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Mine attended the 3d Florida try outs last year and was good enough to be one of the boys chosen to JR blue chip this past summer. He attended last year and this year received a direct invite to JR blue chip. We declined the event because he is going to Mav showtime and we see no reason to go to both.

Just my opinion, but I wasn't overly impressed with JR Blue chip last year for the money we spent. $600 and we saw all those same college coaches on the sidelines this fall with club team. Not really well organized and playing time really left up to the boys.

Same for Philly fresh showcase a couple of months back. All these events seemed to have cashed in.

Hope that M showtime is better but I am a skeptic...

For my money, prospect days at schools your kid is interested in seem to be the best use of $.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

[/quote

And love the link in the middle of this debate noting that college athletic departments are facing a fiscal crisis for non-revenue sports. I read that and think that any 2018 parent who gets his money spend on youth / club lacrosse back via a college lacrosse scholarship is quite the lucky one. At least when we were all stupid enough to buy a .com stock in the 1990s we had some irrational shot at making money. Here it seems like we can all see a money crash clearly and are steering toward it. I wonder how many lacrosse players on a roster of 45 are walk ons or basically walk ons...are getting a couple grand only to say scholarshipped. Half?

Many of the 2018 kids who went to Jake Reed last year did not get a direct invite, the system is broken. 3d Blue Chip is well run and fun as long as the weather is warm. Let's stop this nonsense about 'money grab', what organzation isn't trying to make money when they run a business.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

[/quote

And love the link in the middle of this debate noting that college athletic departments are facing a fiscal crisis for non-revenue sports. I read that and think that any 2018 parent who gets his money spend on youth / club lacrosse back via a college lacrosse scholarship is quite the lucky one. At least when we were all stupid enough to buy a .com stock in the 1990s we had some irrational shot at making money. Here it seems like we can all see a money crash clearly and are steering toward it. I wonder how many lacrosse players on a roster of 45 are walk ons or basically walk ons...are getting a couple grand only to say scholarshipped. Half?

Non for profit ones. Which many of these clubs "claim" to be!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

[/quote

I am aware of only a few claiming to be nonprofit, but you have to remember, that too is a business.

To help you understand more clearly:
"The fundamental difference between nonprofit organizations and their profit-making counterparts is that nonprofits tend to take a greater portion of their compensation from easier working conditions, more time off, favors and under-the-table payments. Profit-making organizations take a greater portion of their compensation in cash, except those that are highly regulated. In the profit-making world, there is much greater monitoring of the behavior of people who act for the organization. Profit-making organizations have a financial bottom line they must meet, or sooner or later, heads will roll. Not so with nonprofits, which have no bottom line to meet. On top of that, incompetence for nonprofits means bigger budgets, higher pay and less oversight." -Walter Williams

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Don't you mean, how will this impact D1 Lacrosse?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

[/quote

Its actually pretty easy to market as a "non for profit" but in reality be a for profit business. Most of time this is done when the "non for profit" enters into a contract with a mgmt company charges big fees for helping run the business or provide other services. Both the non for profit and the mgmt co are run by the same people. Crabs does this

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

This will be very bad for D1 lacrosse. Basically, the divide between haves and have nots will widen with more discretion to the conferences. The money is huge, but now college football inc. and college basketball inc. are saying they want more controls over the pot and will take the amateur notion out of the equation and pay players a stipend. If any of you ever played a D1 sport you know exactly what that means. Football and basketball bakes everyone's bread and butter it too. Non revenue sports are going to be acutely affected by that because there is no tier of urgency to take care of some volleyball, soccer or lacrosse player. It sounds more like kill or be killed now, so if lacrosse can figure out a revenue model like the article implies...sell tickets, swag, fund raise endowments for specific programs, etc. ...then great. If not, in the real case your sons can look forward to what it was like being a non-revenue athlete in the 1980s. Long bus rides, lots and lots of Holiday Inns and barely passable TGI Fridays meals on the road. There will be exceptions at some big ACC or Big10 type places, but in general college lacrosse will be a grander version of high school lacrosse.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

This will be very bad for D1 lacrosse. Basically, the divide between haves and have nots will widen with more discretion to the conferences. The money is huge, but now college football inc. and college basketball inc. are saying they want more controls over the pot and will take the amateur notion out of the equation and pay players a stipend. If any of you ever played a D1 sport you know exactly what that means. Football and basketball bakes everyone's bread and butter it too. Non revenue sports are going to be acutely affected by that because there is no tier of urgency to take care of some volleyball, soccer or lacrosse player. It sounds more like kill or be killed now, so if lacrosse can figure out a revenue model like the article implies...sell tickets, swag, fund raise endowments for specific programs, etc. ...then great. If not, in the real case your sons can look forward to what it was like being a non-revenue athlete in the 1980s. Long bus rides, lots and lots of Holiday Inns and barely passable TGI Fridays meals on the road. There will be exceptions at some big ACC or Big10 type places, but in general college lacrosse will be a grander version of high school lacrosse.

TGI Fridays? Bagged lunches for a dinner. Maybe the hosting school invites you to their dinning hall. Make sure you play the service academies they used to know how to host a visiting team

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

TGI Fridays? Bagged lunches for a dinner. Maybe the hosting school invites you to their dinning hall. Make sure you play the service academies they used to know how to host a visiting team

I think you are correct. It's going to be a thing of the past. Saw a Maryland/ N Carolina game and THERE WAS NO ONE IN THE STADIUM WATCHING. Maybe 150 200 people at most. If nobody cares then nobody is buying tickets….very sad

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
this will be interesting to watch. I bet the D1 schools without football will be in a better position to deal with this. It could be an advantage for those schools.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Could actually work in another way as well. If your a mid level school with football, and the program doesn't make money or barely breaks even, why keep it? With these added costs to fund the programs, it could tip many of them into the red. No profit, no reason to have it. Those funds could then be directed to the remainder of the athletic department to strengthen the rest of the teams. Getting rid of football in an unprofitable situation would free up massive amounts of budgetary dollars for all other sport. Men's lax cost a fraction to fund vs. football. For the most part, the overall academic profile for a lax athlete vs football is a much better situation for the school. I think football at the non powerhouse schools is the sport that should be very worried.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
UVa season tickets are priced between $30 for kids and seniors, to $40 for regular and to $50 for VIP. That is for the season, not a game. I recall that student ID gets you into all sporting events for free when I went there. There is no money in lacrosse. None. It is like all the other non-revenue sports feeding off football and men's basketball. I think that the NCAA changes giving the conferences more power and discretion means it will be used to compensate football and basketball players. Anyone who thinks that will not come at the expense of the non-revenue sports funding is kidding themselves. D1 lacrosse is going to become the "AA" division of club lacrosse in the next few years unless the sport can figure out a revenue model in the NCAA game. It would not be a bad idea for NCAA lacrosse to do what tennis does. Play an indoor season, have box in the winter. That may not become an NCAA sanctioned championship anytime soon, but it would help make a pleading to increase the lacrosse operating budgets so that teams can train with finding for more than their in-season in spring.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Could actually work in another way as well. If your a mid level school with football, and the program doesn't make money or barely breaks even, why keep it? With these added costs to fund the programs, it could tip many of them into the red. No profit, no reason to have it. Those funds could then be directed to the remainder of the athletic department to strengthen the rest of the teams. Getting rid of football in an unprofitable situation would free up massive amounts of budgetary dollars for all other sport. Men's lax cost a fraction to fund vs. football. For the most part, the overall academic profile for a lax athlete vs football is a much better situation for the school. I think football at the non powerhouse schools is the sport that should be very worried.

Isn't that what Hofstra did?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Once again, for the first time around lax parents:

I am a 2019 parent who will be traveling to 3d with my son next weekend. I sent the application in for him, he was accepted and I paid. We are traveling to FL.

What should I expect? What should my son expect?
The direct invitation I have read about, is that something every player gets?
My son was accepted to Top 175. It is a fee also.

What is the best case senerio that will come out of the 3d weekend for my son.

Please, without sarcasm, explain to me if I am paying for a real opportunity for my son to be seen or is it that I just paid all this money for a fun in the sun lax weekend with different teams.

I am coming here because the 2019 thread is still caught up in the Chaminade goalie relcassing situation.

Thank you all in advance

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I am a 2019 parent who will be traveling to 3d with my son next weekend. I sent the application in for him, he was accepted and I paid. We are traveling to FL.

Please, without sarcasm, explain to me if I am paying for a real opportunity for my son to be seen or is it that I just paid all this money for a fun in the sun lax weekend with different teams.

I am coming here because the 2019 thread is still caught up in the Chaminade goalie relcassing situation.

Thank you all in advance

1. Prior to leaving, look at the 10 day forecast so pack accordingly.
2. Friday night is 6 hours of drills, Saturday and Sunday you come and go for the games. (Friday night, park in the first lot, right hand side as you come in, as close to the exit as possible)
3. This is not the direct invite, this is a tryout to possibly get a direct invite for the June Blue Chip.
4. Top 175 is just another showcase, nothing special, there are a lot of showcases.
5. The best case scenario is that your son will play well enough to be one of 120 selected out of 600, if he is fast and has skills, a good possibility.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

A painful truth not many of you are getting is this: athletic directors don't care about non-revenue sports very much. To they extent they exist and cost money to operate, they want to see conference championships or more. There is not an AD in the country who would lose sleep over needing to whack a non-revenue sport like lacrosse if necessary if it digs too much into keeping football or basketball strong. You are correct that lacrosse players come from a more comfortable demographic, and that leads to another point... only 12.6 scholarships means 35-40 full tuition paying students equivalent. Non-revenue sports are also a way of attracting paying customers to a school.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Thank you all in advance

There are no direct invites for 2019 (at least that was the case last year for my 2018). You paid to go to florida to compete for the opportunity to get picked to go to JR this coming summer.

You should expect four games as I recall. You should expect a session on recruiting along with a recommendation that you think about re-classing your kid...

Certainly not a recruiting event in florida, but if he is chosen as a result of his play to go to JR this summer there will be a lot of coaches on the sidelines then.

No other way to get to JR at your son's age. Direct invites start for that age next year...

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

A painful truth not many of you are getting is this: athletic directors don't care about non-revenue sports very much. To they extent they exist and cost money to operate, they want to see conference championships or more. There is not an AD in the country who would lose sleep over needing to whack a non-revenue sport like lacrosse if necessary if it digs too much into keeping football or basketball strong. You are correct that lacrosse players come from a more comfortable demographic, and that leads to another point... only 12.6 scholarships means 35-40 full tuition paying students equivalent. Non-revenue sports are also a way of attracting paying customers to a school.
Most football programs lose money also except for the big conferences. Do you think Stony Brook football is a money maker. C'mon. Lacrosse isnt going anywhere. It brings good sold students to most schools.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

No ....not exactly...they wanted to get their medical school up and running

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
It is true most athletic departments lose money, and non-big conference football teams lose money. Stoney Brook has a football team? Thanks for letting us know. Of course that would be a money hole, as is all non-BCS competitive programs. The point is not to say that lacrosse is going away, but scholarship funded programs will see hits based on more money being steered to football and basketball per the new NCAA guidelines that permit giving players stipends and other benefits. The effects of this will hit ACC schools and Big 10 schools, guaranteed. Bye bye charter flights, and hello bus rides from Columbus Ohio to College Park Maryland or from Charlottesville to Syracuse. Bye bye Marriott, hello Days Inn. That sort of thing.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
We went to 3d last weekend. The quality of instrucion and coaching was good. It was my son's first showcase event and while team play was emphasised during the lead up; the games were a bit of a free-for-all. I get it, the kids are trying to advance to JR, but I was surprised that the coaches allowed some pretty selfish play to occur over the four games. Also, the attack, defense and goalies were subbed on a schedule but the middies were not (my son plays midfield). If your son plays midfield, he will have to be very assertive about getting in and staying in the games. Have fun and good luck.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
We went to 3d last weekend. The quality of instrucion and coaching was good. It was my son's first showcase event and while team play was emphasised during the lead up; the games were a bit of a free-for-all. I get it, the kids are trying to advance to JR, but I was surprised that the coaches allowed some pretty selfish play to occur over the four games. Also, the attack, defense and goalies were subbed on a schedule but the middies were not (my son plays midfield). If your son plays midfield, he will have to be very assertive about getting in and staying in the games. Have fun and good luck.

Here is the problem with Blue Chip 2015. Last year (8th grade) they took 120 kids from the 5 camps for Jack Reed. This year they are only taking 15-25 per camp. They have already sent out 70 direct invites to JR. They put all the kids that were at JR last year and did not get a direct invite on one team in each camp. The result...unless you were an unkown stud, you have zero chance of making it to JR. At least the weather was nice the first weekend...but best of luck to anyone who has gone or is going.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Thank you all in advance

It like everything has pros and cons. But if want exposure and your kid is ready, it's a must event. You know your kid. if he didn't make an A team, you must consider that. Because if you couldn't make a local A team, pretty hard to shine on a regional level. If you want showcase experience, cheaper options are everywhere. And I don't understand that 2019 thread. They need to lock themselves in a room and play the Frozen song 100 times.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

That's hiw showcases and tryouts work. No passing. No sliding. Every man for himself. 2019 has no direct invites. That starts next year. You have to play in. Some based on how they did at 3D camp and some politics. That's how it works. About 600 kids play for 120 spots.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
A must event? really

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Probably more like 600 kids for 50 spots. Many received direct invites.

Page 32 of 52 1 2 30 31 32 33 34 51 52

Link Copied to Clipboard