Originally Posted by Anonymous
I hear you. My daughter is a 27 and made Varsity. She has moved up to a starter and contributes with ground balls, etc. but does very little in the way of dodging and shooting (Which is her strength). It's ball hog city by the upperclassmen. I can't for the life of me figure out why the coaches haven't corrected the selfish behavior? Underclassmen are literally wide open for high quality looks and don't get the ball?? It makes for really bad, poor IQ lacrosse. The drama is over the top too. Many girls are just plain mean??? My daughter can't wait for club. I keep telling her to contribute any way she can, and her time will come. I will be sure to tell her NOT to play this way when she is an upperclassmen. When I hear about the "strong culture" of clubs/teams/college programs, I think this may be what they are talking about. Older players mentoring the younger ones not screaming at them. Oh well, it will be over in a month.
Not sure what level of school your daughter plays at, but if she made V as a freshman and is contributing at all, she and her parents should be happy and proud. Don't worry about the other players. I think the sentiment of looking forward to club season is common at this point. The friendships and game play are more strongly developed there. Everyone understands their roles more on their club teams. HS coaches have a really tough job of trying to blend 4 different age groups and get them to work together. The talent and personalities change every year, and they typically lose a few of their strongest players (seniors) every year. Not easy.