Originally Posted by Anonymous
I have a son who will soon start high school. His first sport is lacrosse and we are torn between EA, Haverford, Malvern and LaSalle. Each seem like very good schools with good lacrosse. Academically our son is smart but not advanced. I would say normal kid. We are hearing that Haverford and EA are very challenging academically and getting harder. I am sure there are parents who could break the schools down on here on what is best for certain kids. How would you rank the schools academically? Does it help for college entrance going to a harder school and prepare your son better? Is it worth having to grind out hours of homework?

I think it all depends upon what you want out of school and lacrosse. 3 out of the 4 are single sex schools. Inter-Ac is the best league in the area. LaSalle plays some tough teams but when they get in league they walk through them. Does your son want to play as 9th/10th grader? Not sure his skill level but all the schools above unless you are top tier you won't see varsity until Junior year and risk getting recruited over. Academically I would agree EA and Haverford are the most challenging, then Malvern then LaSalle. Also, think about where you live. If you are closer to one it will be easier for friends and for getting to school. Some kids spend close to 1.5 hrs on a bus to get to school. Where are kids from his club going? That could factor. My son goes to another Inter-Ac school in the area and we love it. No complaints. In the end you can't go wrong with any on your list but it has to be the right fit for what your son wants. Don't go chasing trophies or bragging rights.