I agree, I keep hearing that age doesn't matter in high school, I don't know as we are not there yet, but if age doesn't matter in high school wouldn't kids be going straight into the NFL? My understanding is that even the most talented 18 yr. olds can in no way physically compete with men. Therefore age still matters in high school, right? My only problem is that with the kindergarten standards being what they are now New [lacrosse] is the one a little behind with their 12/1 cut off.
[/quote]

It isn't that it doesn't matter in HS. The point is - that varying school systems across the country aren't going to uniformly re-organize around sport's concerns. They have curriculums, age systems, and business models which they deem best (for whatever the reason). That isn't likely to ever get addressed - so not really worth focusing too much attention on IMO.

The reality is - once your kid hits HS he is competing against those kids (older or not) if he hopes to move on and play at the college level. The 20+ year old player from Deerfield or Brunswick is entering college the same time as your 17/18 yr. old from LI - that's just life with competitive college sports. Does the older player have an advantage? Sure. But, put a talented 18 yr. old on the field with a potentially less or even equally talented 20 yr. old and the difference isn't overwhelming for the younger player.

Same is simply not true at youth level. Talented still 12 not yet 13 year old going into 8th grade vs. 14+ year old kids is, in fact, often times overwhelming. To all those that say this is just crying and whining - you're either delusional or blind.