BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open for Registration on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted! | Invest for Growth - ADVERTISE with us!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
Boys High School Lax
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,813
Posts387,075
Members2,608
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 24 of 70 1 2 22 23 24 25 26 69 70
Re: Boys 2017 Fall 2013/Summer 2014
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
[quote=Anonymous]so does that mean 9th grade with have a separate tryout date than the others? or that that there is 3 9th grade teams?

I think this is a two stage process. Preliminary tryouts for 9th graders (separate from other high schoolers) this Sunday and another time in the spring. Second stage is a two-day "Long Island Pride" event where boys are separated into teams and evaluated for moving onto the summer 2014 Brine National event for Freshman. Maybe wrong, but that's how I read it.

Two separate tryouts. 15's, 16's,17's on sunday. If any 17's luck out and make it they can play on both squads. If not, they are eligible to tryout in June for 17 only at no additional charge.

This event is compromised, wouldnt go anywhere near it [/quote

Why and how is it compromised? Please explain, don't want to waste my son's time.]

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I don't understand the post about Brine where the author states in HS bracket the college coaches can't coach due to NCAA rules. If that is the case, why are they allowed to coach at Peak 200, First Look, etc?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Where did you see what boys from last years middle school team signed up ?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I don't understand the post about Brine where the author states in HS bracket the college coaches can't coach due to NCAA rules. If that is the case, why are they allowed to coach at Peak 200, First Look, etc?

Think it might have to do with the time of year...not sure. Thats not the main reason for not doing. More application toward the specific school an showcase one wants to attend.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
This event is compromised, wouldnt go anywhere near it

Why and how is it compromised? Please explain, don't want to waste my son's time.

The event organizers and several big name coaches at the 2017 level here on LI are very friendly. Therefore IMO the tryouts are in no way fair or unbiased. Yes they fielded a very strong team last year but the team was essentially picked before the kids even stepped on the field. Besides, this event has little to no recruiting value whatsover. If you do it, it would be for fun only. Save your money and do prospect days or one of the bigger name camps.

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Why and how is it compromised? Please explain, don't want to waste my son's time.

The event organizers and several big name coaches at the 2017 level here on LI are very friendly. Therefore IMO the tryouts are in no way fair or unbiased. Yes they fielded a very strong team last year but the team was essentially picked before the kids even stepped on the field. Besides, this event has little to no recruiting value whatsover. If you do it, it would be for fun only. Save your money and do prospect days or one of the bigger name camps.

You are right and they take every kid that signs up for the tryout. Went to one tryout and will never send any of my kids again. It's a money maker and because they have so many kids at the tryout, you get very little time on the field to be properly evaluated. Don't waste your money and time. Tryout for Under Armour. It's much better run and a ton of coaches attend the tryouts.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Yes everyone for those of you that must know, JT Bugliosi is a "true" freshman. He's 14 and did not hold back. He is really a freshman and should be by his age. So fcr those of you who say all of the 2017 commits are a year older, in this case it's for real.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
2017 - A - JT Bugliosi commit to Ohio State. He is a "true" freshman and only 14. Not all these 2017 commits are a year older.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Congrats. What player and school?

Thanks! Over the years with three boys involved in Lax, I admit to becoming a little obsessed. I like to know what people are saying,stay up to date on commitments and lax news, and occasionally comment. Although my one son is committed, my other two are up and coming in the next few years. This holdback thing is something that has gotten out of control and might hurt my other kids chances of being recruited. After my son was recruited, and I started to look at D1 rosters of top schools, it became very clear what was going on. That is why I advocate for fairness. I would tell you who my committed son is, but then everyone would know who I was, and I prefer to remain anonymous.

Anonymous? There are only 3 or 4 known 2017 commits and none of them are true freshmen. Try again.............

Not directly related to above post. With the 2017 commit announced today, I believe there are now 7 known public commits that have been announced so far. Michigan - Brian Townsend/Blackwolf (M), UNC - Ara Atayan/LI Express (M), Colin Munro/3D (A), Joe Carrington/3D (D), UVA - Griffin Harris/3D (A), John Fox/Brunswick School (M), Air Force - Christian Marshall/West Coast Starz (M). Does anyone know of anyone else. Also, with a little googling, many of these kids are a year older. Lastly, 3D is cleaning up. Have nothing to do with 3D, but find it interesting.
Also forgot Jordan Young, the D-pole from Dukes who committed to Marland. So I believe 8 kids in 2017 have officially committed so far.
Add Cole Williard (A) - Penn State. He and John Fox, Virgina commit are 2016s who are going to do PGs years, and I know several of the 3D kids are 16-year olds.
Add - JT Bugliosi / FCA, (A) - Ohio State a true freshman at 14 years old.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Long Island folks:

We need to stop bashing other states for holding back/PG years. I know of at least 2 of my son's teammates who are doing the same thing. Literally repeating 8th grade prior to going to HS. Welcome to the world, it ain't fair - deal with it. Stop all the whining too, it's embarrassing. Someone once said, "just shut and play".

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Long Island folks:

We need to stop bashing other states for holding back/PG years. I know of at least 2 of my son's teammates who are doing the same thing. Literally repeating 8th grade prior to going to HS. Welcome to the world, it ain't fair - deal with it. Stop all the whining too, it's embarrassing. Someone once said, "just shut and play".

Really? What team? I believe in "shut up and play" also but, I call your bluff on this one

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Congrats. What player and school?

Thanks! Over the years with three boys involved in Lax, I admit to becoming a little obsessed. I like to know what people are saying,stay up to date on commitments and lax news, and occasionally comment. Although my one son is committed, my other two are up and coming in the next few years. This holdback thing is something that has gotten out of control and might hurt my other kids chances of being recruited. After my son was recruited, and I started to look at D1 rosters of top schools, it became very clear what was going on. That is why I advocate for fairness. I would tell you who my committed son is, but then everyone would know who I was, and I prefer to remain anonymous.

Anonymous? There are only 3 or 4 known 2017 commits and none of them are true freshmen. Try again.............

Not directly related to above post. With the 2017 commit announced today, I believe there are now 7 known public commits that have been announced so far. Michigan - Brian Townsend/Blackwolf (M), UNC - Ara Atayan/LI Express (M), Colin Munro/3D (A), Joe Carrington/3D (D), UVA - Griffin Harris/3D (A), John Fox/Brunswick School (M), Air Force - Christian Marshall/West Coast Starz (M). Does anyone know of anyone else. Also, with a little googling, many of these kids are a year older. Lastly, 3D is cleaning up. Have nothing to do with 3D, but find it interesting.
Also forgot Jordan Young, the D-pole from Dukes who committed to Marland. So I believe 8 kids in 2017 have officially committed so far.
Add Cole Williard (A) - Penn State. He and John Fox, Virgina commit are 2016s who are going to do PGs years, and I know several of the 3D kids are 16-year olds.
Add. JT Bugliosi,Calvert Hall/FCA to Ohio State. A "true" 2017 freshman who is 14 years old.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
2017 - A - JT Bugliosi commit to Ohio State. He is a "true" freshman and only 14. Not all these 2017 commits are a year older.

Wow, one out of 7 kids is a "true" freshman - that means 85% of the kids that have committed so far are older. Not whining, but it's hard to argue reclassing doesn't give kids an advantage, especially as freshman. Guarantee it will start happening in LI if early recruiting continues to be the trend.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Long Island folks:

Really? What team? I believe in "shut up and play" also but, I call your bluff on this one

Goalie Massapequa thats all I will say.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
A few in the 2018 group. They liked 8th grade so much, they're doing it again!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
A few in the 2018 group. They liked 8th grade so much, they're doing it again!

little way of thinking. just saying....

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Wow, one out of 7 kids is a "true" freshman - that means 85% of the kids that have committed so far are older. Not whining, but it's hard to argue reclassing doesn't give kids an advantage, especially as freshman. Guarantee it will start happening in LI if early recruiting continues to be the trend.

Finally someone gets it. LI kids and others that come from Dec 1 cutoffs are at a HUGH disadvantage with regard to maturation and physicality. It is what it is and those who choose to bash the system, well, it's getting old and tiresome to hear you whine.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Long Island folks:

BOTC: That's just plain wrong to allow a poster to state that.

Back of THE CAGE
OP Offline
Back of THE CAGE
Long Island folks:

BOTC: That's just plain wrong to allow a poster to state that.
Stating what? Is there something inaccurate here? Is there only one goalie in all of Massapequa?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I must say, I thought this post was just a bunch of BS.
HOWEVER, I was at tryouts this morning with my son. 32 degrees and a lovely morning for lacrosse (sarcasm).
Everywhere I looked I saw 91 jackets, hats, sweatshirts. I am NOT talking about the kids I am talking about the "EVALUATORS".
Since when is Brine Lacrosse in bed with 91?
What a joke and a waste of money! Not to mention a waste of a morning which would have been better spent reading the paper.
We all know that bias exists even if we do not intend for it to. I am disappointed in Brine for engaging in this type of bait and switch. can't wait to see the roster. That said business is business and I guess 91 came across with some $$$

This event is compromised, wouldnt go anywhere near it [/quote]

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Long Island folks:

I guess it is a strategy however twisted it may be.....But what happens when you blow out your ACL in your repeated 8th grade year? As impossible as this is to consider, what if the lax thing doesn't work out? How many college admissions folks are going to be impressed on the academic record of a voluntary hold back.....And talk to any AD and they'll tell you that more than 20% of scholarship athletes voluntarily quit because the commitment of essentially another full-time job is too much on top of school. Good luck....I hope the brass ring is everything you (I mean your kid) dreams it will be.....

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
HOWEVER, I was at tryouts this morning with my son. 32 degrees and a lovely morning for lacrosse (sarcasm).
Everywhere I looked I saw 91 jackets, hats, sweatshirts. I am NOT talking about the kids I am talking about the "EVALUATORS".
What a joke and a waste of money! Not to mention a waste of a morning which would have been better spent reading the paper.
We all know that bias exists even if we do not intend for it to. I am disappointed in Brine for engaging in this type of bait and switch. can't wait to see the roster. That said business is business and I guess 91 came across with some $$$

Not sure about 91 connection but was so cold evaluators weren't writing anything down! Will be tough to remember 300 kids numbers!!

Back of THE CAGE
OP Offline
Back of THE CAGE
Everywhere I looked I saw 91 jackets, hats, sweatshirts. I am NOT talking about the kids I am talking about the "EVALUATORS". Since when is Brine Lacrosse in bed with 91?
You are aware that Brine was e-mailing many institutions on Long Island as recently as last week with an open call for coaches to register to be evaluators, right?

Since you decided to actually "buy" this event, you did do your research in advance, right?

Here is the link to help you : Brine Coaches

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
My observations:

There were simply too many kids to run the tryout effectively. As an example my own kid got only 1 rep during one on one drills. If the drill is important, there need to be sufficient reps.
The size and skill range was very broad. The 8 th graders were bigger stronger better. Tough to see any 6th or 7th graders making it with rare exception.
Too cold to evaluate for a full 3 hours. By the end the kids stopped dodging to the goal.
Evaluators took very few notes when compared to a well run club tryout. I am sure it was tough to take notes in the cold.

Perhaps the real evaluations will take place in the spring.

Should be done with smaller numbers in my opinion, perhaps grade based with return invites for 6th and 7th graders after preliminary assessment.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
My observations:

There were simply too many kids to run the tryout effectively. As an example my own kid got only 1 rep during one on one drills. If the drill is important, there need to be sufficient reps.
The size and skill range was very broad. The 8 th graders were bigger stronger better. Tough to see any 6th or 7th graders making it with rare exception.
Too cold to evaluate for a full 3 hours. By the end the kids stopped dodging to the goal.
Evaluators took very few notes when compared to a well run club tryout. I am sure it was tough to take notes in the cold.

Should be done with smaller numbers in my opinion, perhaps grade based with return invites for 6th and 7th graders after preliminary assessment.

JF doesn't want smaller numbers. It's not about conducting a productive and fair tryout. It's about signing up as many kids to tryout as possible to maximixe his profit. It's no secret...He sends emails soliciting more kids to tryout and includes the list of kids already registered that goes on forever. He's just lining his pockets with your money.

Back of THE CAGE
OP Offline
Back of THE CAGE
JF doesn't want smaller numbers. It's not about conducting a productive and fair tryout. It's about signing up as many kids to tryout as possible to maximixe his profit. It's no secret...He sends emails soliciting more kids to tryout and includes the list of kids already registered that goes on forever. He's just lining his pockets with your money.
Is JF = Joe Frankin? BOTC has not had a positive experience with him.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by CageSage
Is JF = Joel Frankin? BOTC has not had a positive experience with him.

Yes it is.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Based upon what I saw there were very few if any 6th graders that should have been on the field today. The skill and size difference was very noticable. It was a waste of time for these kids. As a whole middle school event was poorly run with kids getting very few touches. There were very few evaluators actually doing anything. The few kids from Hofstra seemed to be just there to talk and hang out. The evaluators who were there affiliated with local teams didnt really do much writting on their clipboards. We all know who they will pick. Based on the fact there were no games played I would assume they are going to invite all the 2018 players to the LI Pride event and make final cuts based on that. I just hope that the teams are created fairly and not all players from certain Club Teams are put together and the other talented players thrown on a team randomly. We all know if you play and practice with one another it makes it a bit easier to do well.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
My observations:

Why are you posting this on the 2017 thread?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
what was the bad experience botc had with joe franklin or this event? provide info and let us know.

both sons attended the tryouts today. middle school and high school. lots of kids and it was cold. i saw lots of player helmets and coats (parents) from both 91, LI Express and some others. both tryouts were run the same way and from what i saw the players got a good run. they cut off registration early i guess to limit the number of players. i dont get what you are complaining about.

cagesage, whats up? let us know your experience

Back of THE CAGE
OP Offline
Back of THE CAGE
what was the bad experience botc had with joe franklin or this event? provide info and let us know.

We did not say we had a bad experience; we said not positive. Overall, it was neutral - and we will leave it at that for now.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

both sons attended the tryouts today. middle school and high school. lots of kids and it was cold. i saw lots of player helmets and coats (parents) from both 91, LI Express and some others. both tryouts were run the same way and from what i saw the players got a good run. they cut off registration early i guess to limit the number of players. i dont get what you are complaining about.

Your joking. Was the worst run event my kid has ever been to. 91 2018 tryouts had more evaluators and game play at its tryout. Tell me how many guys were evaluating. Did they play any real time full games. There were over 170 at Middle school and heard there were over 200 at high school. Only 2 fields. At middle school if your kid was on a line with a 6th or 7th grader and they dropped ball that was the drill next group on. No real play just what 25 min for face off kids, D vs attack and middies on 1/2 field play. Goalies always playing in man down situations. Nothing as it should have been. Played 4 nets so approx 40 kids per group. First what 30 to 45 mins were spent on stretching, started a little late. Had group meetings which leaves about 2 hours to really evalute 170 players. For this type of event they said they were going to cap at 150. What they said and what they did are completly different. Must be friends of guys holding clip board or collecting checks. If Brine is going to put their name on an event I would expect it to be run a whole lot better.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
ADD a true 14 yr old 2017 from Long Island to an ancient eight school. Details to follow when permitted. :-D

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by CageSage
Everywhere I looked I saw 91 jackets, hats, sweatshirts. I am NOT talking about the kids I am talking about the "EVALUATORS". Since when is Brine Lacrosse in bed with 91?
You are aware that Brine was e-mailing many institutions on Long Island as recently as last week with an open call for coaches to register to be evaluators, right?

Since you decided to actually "buy" this event, you did do your research in advance, right?

Here is the link to help you :
Brine Coaches

With all due respect Cage, the link you provided above, which I just looked at is Brine looking for TEAM coaches. Perhaps the link has changed?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

[/quote]

This is absolute BS! My son was there also. There was no one from 91 evaluating. Stop with the conspiracy theories

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I agree with you on this one. IDK what you would be expecting. At the HS tryout (which 2017 board should be discussing) there were boys from every HS around. I did not see any evaluators wearing any 91 or Express or fl$ hats, sweatshirts, etc. My son got a lot of reps. There were some great players and some not so great players. They had 9-11 together but, that's how it will be this year in the HS. Was it a perfect situation? No. These tryouts are tough to get perfect. Is it a money grab? Aren't they all? I guess you will never please all of you parents.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I agree with you on this one. IDK what you would be expecting. At the HS tryout (which 2017 board should be discussing) there were boys from every HS around. I did not see any evaluators wearing any 91 or Express or fl$ hats, sweatshirts, etc. My son got a lot of reps. There were some great players and some not so great players. They had 9-11 together but, that's how it will be this year in the HS. Was it a perfect situation? No. These tryouts are tough to get perfect. Is it a money grab? Aren't they all? I guess you will never please all of you parents.

The coach of 91 xtreme 2018 was an evaluator at MS tryouts. He is also a Director for team 91. Hello?? Total sham.

Back of THE CAGE
OP Offline
Back of THE CAGE
With all due respect Cage, the link you provided above, which I just looked at is Brine looking for TEAM coaches. Perhaps the link has changed?
This is the exact e-mail which was sent on November 21st. This was sent to every High School and Club Coach that their distribution list could handle. Our reading of this letter is that there was most definitely an open call for coaching and evaluator registrations.

Originally Posted by Brine Letter
Coach,

Celebrating its seventh year ...

Leading up to the Brine National Lacrosse Classic are regional tryouts held in key markets across the country to find the best talent to spotlight at the national event. Brine regional tryouts are conducted by high school lacrosse coaches throughout the nation that are committed to helping young athletes maximize their potential and succeed academically and athletically.

Coaches take part in the player evaluation process and select the best players from high school and club teams to play together on ONE team, ONE time a year - at the Brine National Lacrosse Classic.

You are encouraged to get involved with the Brine National Lacrosse Classic regional team tryouts in your area. Fill out the online form and we will contact you with all of the details > Online coaches application

The Brine regional tryouts enable players to test and benchmark their lacrosse skills against other players in a well-structured, fun and supportive environment. The selection process is based on performance - not politics. Just ask any of the Brine high school lacrosse coaches that have participated in this event over the past six years. > List of coaches here

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
SL from 91 was there.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
ADD a true 14 yr old 2017 from Long Island to an ancient eight school. Details to follow when permitted. :-D
Laviano?

Page 24 of 70 1 2 22 23 24 25 26 69 70

Link Copied to Clipboard