BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open for Registration on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted! | Invest for Growth - ADVERTISE with us!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
Boys 2030 Midatlantic
by Anonymous -
Girls High School
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,822
Posts391,037
Members2,610
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 285 of 335 1 2 283 284 285 286 287 334 335
Re: Boys High School
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Look at the commits of all the MIAA students minus the players who are ranked in the top 50. Tell me, without lacrosse, would your son chose to go school where he is committed? Had you ever heard of a lot of schools he’s being recruited by! And, could he have walked on to the team he “committed” to if he had applied and gotten in on his own? Did you send your son to private school to attend a DIII liberal arts school…. that’s not W&L, Williams, Tufts etc?

It took me 30sec to find a 2023 MIAA player who is not ranked in the top-150 who got recruited to Yale.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Look at the commits of all the MIAA students minus the players who are ranked in the top 50. Tell me, without lacrosse, would your son chose to go school where he is committed? Had you ever heard of a lot of schools he’s being recruited by! And, could he have walked on to the team he “committed” to if he had applied and gotten in on his own? Did you send your son to private school to attend a DIII liberal arts school…. that’s not W&L, Williams, Tufts etc?

You are working really hard on this public school advocacy.

"But if you ignore all the kids in public school doing more poorly than an average private student, and you delete from the data set all the root causes for that, like, Liberty HS equals Gilman!"

As was said earlier, the only folks invested in this stale argument are public school parents. You do you.

And Yes, buying a $500k townhouse in a great school district has honestly, a slightly better financial ROI than sending 2 kids to private school. that's a true statement.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
is there any update to the coaching change at JC. Any rumors as to the next candidate?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I am a private school parent who supports public schools. Yes private schools have a better advantage because it is school by choice. School players and parents can be selective who they choose thus the data better than public. Education is legal. Everyone is legally entitled to an education. You can define that as you may. Private schools can make teams by who they recruit and build their team with. Example FCA IS A PIPELINE TO CHC. In public school your team is based on who lives in your jurisdiction and if they decide to go the that school. Coaches can only build a team by the student body that shows up on the first day. And you are correct on the ROÍ. Well maybe at the rate the school system and it’s leadership is going.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I am a private school parent who supports public schools. Yes private schools have a better advantage because it is school by choice. School players and parents can be selective who they choose thus the data better than public. Education is legal. Everyone is legally entitled to an education. You can define that as you may. Private schools can make teams by who they recruit and build their team with. Example FCA IS A PIPELINE TO CHC. In public school your team is based on who lives in your jurisdiction and if they decide to go the that school. Coaches can only build a team by the student body that shows up on the first day. And you are correct on the ROÍ. Well maybe at the rate the school system and it’s leadership is going.

Public has a better financial ROI in terms of 15 year return, ending with the year kids graduate.

If you extend that analysis period out 20 more years, even controlling for factors like parent income and education (which I'd say lets not assume thats a real world control AT ALL), then private education wins out by a Small margin. Some studies say the margin is statistically insignificant, meaning that per dollar equally spent, it doesn't matter much.

In other words under strict math controls, private parents aren't wasting their money and (control group of) public oarents "can get" a competitive education for their kids at public school.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Get rid of clubs and start regional summer leagues (teams are drafted/picked each season). You’ll get the same volunteer coaches as the clubs. Regional winners play in playoff at the end of each season. No need to travel to Long Island to see your eleven year old play. Age based!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Get rid of clubs and start regional summer leagues (teams are drafted/picked each season). You’ll get the same volunteer coaches as the clubs. Regional winners play in playoff at the end of each season. No need to travel to Long Island to see your eleven year old play. Age based!

The problem with your argument is that if you live in say Annapolis, you could play all of the best teams in the country while traveling 2 hours for a tournement. Personally I want my son playing on one of the best teams against the best teams. I don't really care if he wins as long as he's improving. He's a top contributor on a top team, you can't convince me playing Red Hots, Venom, Freedom, FCA, 2 Way, Hawks, NL isn't worth it. Once in a while he'll play teams from a lower level and it's a different game. Town teams are not the same.

I do agree that below the top 2 or 3 levels in hoco it would be better to spend money on rec if it existed. Does it even exist in MD at this point?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
This makes me laugh because it’s so true. Kellys really focuses on their kids first.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

You are working really hard on this public school advocacy.

"But if you ignore all the kids in public school doing more poorly than an average private student, and you delete from the data set all the root causes for that, like, Liberty HS equals Gilman!"

As was said earlier, the only folks invested in this stale argument are public school parents. You do you.

And Yes, buying a $500k townhouse in a great school district has honestly, a slightly better financial ROI than sending 2 kids to private school. that's a true statement.

Im a product of public school and thinks its fine choice. However, Covid alone, was totally mishandled and most every public school kid took a step back in that year window. No show on line courses, the "everyone passes" mentality. The test results coming back in 2022 and 2023 show this.

At least Private schools had a chance to keep the kids learning. Let's not even bring up the "woke" being taught at many of these schools. Is it overblown? Maybe, but its a thing.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
is there any update to the coaching change at JC. Any rumors as to the next candidate?

Hearing their next coach is gonna be first class.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Deemer? Really?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Top guy will be coming. It was always in the works. JC had a plan of getting rid of coach and bringing in new top talent to put the program on a better track.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Deemer? Really?
Puhlease. He has better things to do.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Deemer? Really?
He is an assistant coach of a girls HS team. It's one of the best in the country but it's still an assistant job. I think he would love to be a head coach at a school in the MIAA. I'm surprised he didn't get the LB job. Every kid knows who he is and would be the high profile coach JC needs. His BIC has established itself so quickly, I'm sure he would be able to continue that and coach.

I have no idea if that was what the original poster meant but hiring DC at any MIAA school would have an immediate impact. If nothing else, it's interesting to consider how a name coach like him could change JCs program.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Deemer? Really?
He is an assistant coach of a girls HS team. It's one of the best in the country but it's still an assistant job. I think he would love to be a head coach at a school in the MIAA. I'm surprised he didn't get the LB job. Every kid knows who he is and would be the high profile coach JC needs. His BIC has established itself so quickly, I'm sure he would be able to continue that and coach.

I have no idea if that was what the original poster meant but hiring DC at any MIAA school would have an immediate impact. If nothing else, it's interesting to consider how a name coach like him could change JCs program.

He didn't apply for LB. Probably not interested in being HC

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Why would Deemer be a good coach?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Top guy will be coming. It was always in the works. JC had a plan of getting rid of coach and bringing in new top talent to put the program on a better track.

Oh no DC seems like a good dude and way to smart to deal with the administration at jc. Did u see the video of the jc AD treatment of the lacrosse parents. Doesn’t matter who they hire.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Well, Deemer is moving to NYC to live with his girlfriend from CA (met when he was coaching at USC), so I really don't think he is going to commute to Bel Air from Manhattan...

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Like I said, he has much better things to be doing then coaching John Carroll.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Well, Deemer is moving to NYC to live with his girlfriend from CA (met when he was coaching at USC), so I really don't think he is going to commute to Bel Air from Manhattan...

Good for him! Big loss for SPSG though if he won't be around for next season. The rumor was MG was set to retire and possibly hand off to DC.

I do think DC would be a good coach, especially at a school like JC (if there weren't issues with administration). He knows the game at the highest level. He has great videos that breakdown game film. He is one of the best known names in high school lacrosse from BIC. Looking at the names of young players who help at his combines, he could easily build out a great staff.

He may not want to coach at all and is happy growing what he has built. But he is a competitive guy who clearly likes it given his role at SPSG. AH and BK (and BL in Philly) were all very young and unproven when they took over big name programs. All 3 have done pretty well.

I hope JC commits to building a better program and hires a coach who can attract great players that can compete in the MIAA.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
If you’ve been to BIC you would realize DC is not a coach or someone who could run a program. BIC is always disorganized and there is no coaching, it’s a showcase.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
If you’ve been to BIC you would realize DC is not a coach or someone who could run a program. BIC is always disorganized and there is no coaching, it’s a showcase.

Too bad you/your kid did not get an invite to BIC. But your lack of any substantive knowledge shows in your statement.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Typical response ….take the comment as constructive criticism Deemer. I’ve sent multiple players since its inception and agree with the original post. You have a great facility at an ideal location. Make it better !!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
There was no plan at JC. The admin didn't like the coach pointing out deficiencies. So they canned him. Didn't realize the coach had so much community support. Now the trustees are paying attention. Sounds like they finally want to invest in the program. Should be interesting to watch.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
There was no plan at JC. The admin didn't like the coach pointing out deficiencies. So they canned him. Didn't realize the coach had so much community support. Now the trustees are paying attention. Sounds like they finally want to invest in the program. Should be interesting to watch.

There is, Sorry Coach, You were a trainwreck with admin. Time to move on and let admin bring in new guy.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Typical response ….take the comment as constructive criticism Deemer. I’ve sent multiple players since its inception and agree with the original post. You have a great facility at an ideal location. Make it better !!
Typical response on this forum. Baseless/unfounded accusations. If you have a specific complaint regarding the lack of organization at BIC, make it known. My players experience has been fantastic and I have sent several from multiple age groups since its inception. Sufficient breaks between training sessions (or what you would call coaching) and games (where the trainers/coaches reinforce the lessons from the training sessions). And every player receives a detailed schedule, complete with explanations/legends so they know exactly where they need to be, when they need to be there, and what they will be doing during that time. IMO BIC is definitely more than just a "showcase." So what exactly where/what is the disorganization?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

As a coach and a parent, I've found Deemer to be an outstanding skils coach - better than all but 1-2 in the Baltimore area.

But I think there's a disconnect in this conversation about what a HS coach actually does. Deemer is not that guy.

Outside of the lax season (which means 44 of 52 weeks per year) the main duties of a coach are:

5% overseeing off season workouts
25% (or more) responding to Athletic Director, donors, parents questions and meetings
20% supervising the coaching staff, making sure they're doing their jobs correctly
30% doing whatever "day job" duties the school has cooked up for them, like "PE teacher" or "admissions director" or "summer camp director"
10% networking and recruiting (for future players)
10% networking and recruiting (for current players headed to college)

If you know Deemer, does Deemer seem like that guy, right now? Especially in the case of JC which has a unique set of issues:
1) Board is perhaps a dumpster fire
2) Parents are super mad at everyone
3) The "student body service area" is constantly losing its best players to LB, CHC, SP, BL and Gilman..and even Curley. And there's not a lot you can do about it.

They don't even need a great coach. They need a good enough coach who players and parents will trust, and who can tap dance for the Board & Athletic Director. The person with that skill set will have a better W-L outcome over 3 years than the better coach who "doesn't do politics." (which btw is a huge cop out for not wanting to grow professionally).

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

As a coach and a parent, I've found Deemer to be an outstanding skils coach - better than all but 1-2 in the Baltimore area.

But I think there's a disconnect in this conversation about what a HS coach actually does. Deemer is not that guy.

Outside of the lax season (which means 44 of 52 weeks per year) the main duties of a coach are:

25% (or more) responding to Athletic Director, donors, parents questions and meetings
20% supervising the coaching staff, making sure they're doing their jobs correctly
30% doing whatever "day job" duties the school has cooked up for them, like "PE teacher" or "admissions director" or "summer camp director"

If you know Deemer, does Deemer seem like that guy, right now? Especially in the case of JC which has a unique set of issues:
3) The "student body service area" is constantly losing its best players to LB, CHC, SP, BL and Gilman..and even Curley. And there's not a lot you can do about it.

They don't even need a great coach. They need a good enough coach who players and parents will trust, and who can tap dance for the Board & Athletic Director. The person with that skill set will have a better W-L outcome over 3 years than the better coach who "doesn't do politics." (which btw is a huge cop out for not wanting to grow professionally).

At JC head coach also has to raise all money for kids, manage the scoreboard, do crowd control, line the fields, and park opposing team bus. I guess if u ask for help with common task u are coping out and not growing professionally! Facts are right there since joining “A” conference. Also remember the president and AD both blew off the meeting with the league about conference alignment.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Has Gilman done anything about their Coach and staff?
HC is longer head coach at Crabs and was a no show at the 2024 National All Star games where he was rostered as the head coach.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

At JC head coach also has to raise all money for kids, manage the scoreboard, do crowd control, line the fields, and park opposing team bus. I guess if u ask for help with common task u are coping out and not growing professionally! Facts are right there since joining “A” conference. Also remember the president and AD both blew off the meeting with the league about conference alignment.

Cmon man. Everyone knows BK, Farrell and Hilgy are lining fields, parking buses, and operating the score board at their schools on game day.

The AD at JC is clearly competent and doing his job.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
[Censored] coach. He never seemed to figure out that he was coaching a lax team instead of a hockey team.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
with does that mean

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

That's ridiculous, stop. You sound like a millennial employee whining about how they work harder than the guy who got promoted (who attends happy hours, Board retreats, optional trainings, etc to get face time w leadership). Most jobs and most promotions in 2023 are not just for making widgets..or the most D3 recruits. People under 40 moving into leadership know this.

If you haven't had to report to a Board ( people with power with unlimited free time that can be used to jack up your life) or an AD (who is basically a political appointee of the Board) you probably don't recognize that taking care of those people's (annoying and often pointless) requests while maintaining your own independent operation (aka the actual job) is an actual skill. And if you are spending your time doing simple tasks that can be delegated, and ignore the AD'S "great new idea," good luck keeping the job.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
If you’ve been to BIC you would realize DC is not a coach or someone who could run a program. BIC is always disorganized and there is no coaching, it’s a showcase

Cmon man. Everyone knows BK, Farrell and Hilgy are lining fields, parking buses, and operating the score board at their schools on game day.

The AD at JC is clearly competent and doing his job.

The Head Coach is responsible for game day . That is making sure scoreboard is manned and other activities on game day. Usually an assistant or manager handle these while coach gets ready for game, not AD. AD cant handle every sports game day activities ? Lot of people here have no idea what goes on besides them showing up and watching game, and of course complaining

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
with does that mean

It means his kid played for Calvert Hall.
How did CH ever lose to JC?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Did Gilman hiring Holman help the program. They’ve won only a few games since he was hired two years ago. He’s a fairly big name in lacrosse ( probably bigger than Deemer’s).
Obviously hasn’t improved team performance. Has he brought in recruits? So why would Deemer be different at JC. Holman attended Gilman so I imagine he’s working his tail off to make the program better but not getting the results.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Is the AD responsible for attending league movement meetings? Determining player eligibility? Game forfeits across sports? Scheduling conference games, times? All game times "TBD" for JC. All sports. Scheduling, paying referees? Refs showed up at wrong time or not at all? Updating athletic website? No updates 2 years. For all sports.

Admin wants a team to compete in the A and provides C level support. And that's an insult to C schools. Pretty obvious the AD has been sleeping on the job.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Did Gilman hiring Holman help the program. They’ve won only a few games since he was hired two years ago. He’s a fairly big name in lacrosse ( probably bigger than Deemer’s).
Obviously hasn’t improved team performance. Has he brought in recruits? So why would Deemer be different at JC. Holman attended Gilman so I imagine he’s working his tail off to make the program better but not getting the results.

OC isn't a year-round position like HC - big difference

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The AD is responsible for making sure that the coaches, ALL the coaches , have the necessary tools to make the program successful. Do you think the AD worries about having scoreboard issues for the basketball team. Do you think he worries about the anthem, cones, etc. NO..BK has a mountain of people that help him, Hilgy, Lax is his job and the AD gives him as much support as he wants or needs, Farrell, same thing, heck the BL AD is at every game, Loyola, always a ton of people working the table and the AD makes sure that they are there plus the coach is a full time employee. etc etc. the admin at those schools fully support the program. Most of the B and C conference schools have it together more then JC. That's part of a AD's or asst AD's job. NO way should a coach be held responsible for that.
The AD doesn't support the teams other than basketball. Heck they allow him to hold his own camp at the school and don't require him to pay anything. Its like pulling teeth to allow the crabs to use the JC fields for a fee and the previous coach is a crabs coach.
When will the JC Board wake up and get rid of the president and the AD. Both are incompetent at their jobs and both are in WAY over their abilities.
The students and coaches at JC deserve better for the cost of the tuition there.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Is the AD responsible for attending league movement meetings? Determining player eligibility? Game forfeits across sports? Scheduling conference games, times? All game times "TBD" for JC. All sports. Scheduling, paying referees? Refs showed up at wrong time or not at all? Updating athletic website? No updates 2 years. For all sports.

Admin wants a team to compete in the A and provides C level support. And that's an insult to C schools. Pretty obvious the AD has been sleeping on the job.

No, Coach, you didnt organize your sport and it crashed and burned while you sat there complaining . Head Varsity Coaches actually do more than coach their sport, They are CEO of their sport at school and should act like it. You wanted to be a manager not CEO, that is why you are sitting out this season

Like Reply Quote
Page 285 of 335 1 2 283 284 285 286 287 334 335
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Link Copied to Clipboard