BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open for Registration on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted! | Invest for Growth - ADVERTISE with us!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
Boys High School
by Anonymous -
Girls High School
by Anonymous -
Boys High School Lax
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,813
Posts387,198
Members2,608
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 7 of 21 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 20 21
Re: Girls 2019 - 10th Grade Fall 2016/ Summer 2017
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
YJ 2019 announced commitment to Hofstra yesterday and the sun still came up this morning. Shocking! (For those who are slow, please note the sarcasm before responding.)

I love that our club doesn't announce, publicize or in anyway promote the commitments of the girls in our program. And before the trolling starts, there are a lot of them. Usually between 20-30 D1 and similar amounts of D2/D3. There is nothing posted about them until their freshman years in college, when you can see where the club alumni went. Lead with developing strong, talented young women and the rest follows. It actually isn't all about the rat race to early commitments. Would love to see others follow that lead.

Trying to figure out what club you are talking about. You just described 40-60 commitments in your description "Usually between 20-30 D1 and similar amounts of D2/D3. " . The top clubs with recruiting are M&D and YJ and they only have between 40-50 commits per age group. This must be some super secret club that puts all the other clubs recruits to shame.

It's not a super secret club. u know the name. I just looked on website to count to see if my guess on numbers was accurate. They haven't posted 2016 grads yet. In '14 class there were 34 D1 players and 17 D2/D3. In '15 class there were 20 D1 players and 19 D2/D3. Scanning a little, those actually look like pretty good bookends. The '14 class looks high on D1 number. I would say my guesses were pretty accurate, but more like 20-25 D1 per year w '14 being a strong year. So 40-50 total per year, half D1 is about right.

And no commitments on website.

Very few '14s went to top level lax schools...

??

What do you mean? There were plenty of good lax schools and plenty of good academic/lax schools. And once again, the point is they do not promote the commitments and do not post them. Very cool, and very different these days.

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
YJ 2019 announced commitment to Hofstra yesterday and the sun still came up this morning. Shocking! (For those who are slow, please note the sarcasm before responding.)

I love that our club doesn't announce, publicize or in anyway promote the commitments of the girls in our program. And before the trolling starts, there are a lot of them. Usually between 20-30 D1 and similar amounts of D2/D3. There is nothing posted about them until their freshman years in college, when you can see where the club alumni went. Lead with developing strong, talented young women and the rest follows. It actually isn't all about the rat race to early commitments. Would love to see others follow that lead.

Trying to figure out what club you are talking about. You just described 40-60 commitments in your description "Usually between 20-30 D1 and similar amounts of D2/D3. " . The top clubs with recruiting are M&D and YJ and they only have between 40-50 commits per age group. This must be some super secret club that puts all the other clubs recruits to shame.

It's not a super secret club. u know the name. I just looked on website to count to see if my guess on numbers was accurate. They haven't posted 2016 grads yet. In '14 class there were 34 D1 players and 17 D2/D3. In '15 class there were 20 D1 players and 19 D2/D3. Scanning a little, those actually look like pretty good bookends. The '14 class looks high on D1 number. I would say my guesses were pretty accurate, but more like 20-25 D1 per year w '14 being a strong year. So 40-50 total per year, half D1 is about right.

And no commitments on website.

Very few '14s went to top level lax schools...

??

What do you mean? There were plenty of good lax schools and plenty of good academic/lax schools. And once again, the point is they do not promote the commitments and do not post them. Very cool, and very different these days.

Who are you kidding? Very cool? Its killing you, your dying to promote them.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Is Boston College considered a top level school?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Is UNC? Is Florida? Is NU? Is Duke? I think so. Guess you don't... Knew this would devolve into this. It is great that the club doesn't promote their commitments. It sets a great tone for the program. Everyone complains about the motivations of clubs etc. Why don't you just say that it's a good example to set by this club director and wish more would behave this way? No, instead you want to try to disparage the girls as somehow being inferior.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Academically?

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Usually true. Not in this age group. ME has never lost to the group you put them in. But all on here are correct, they don't get to play a lot against the better competition. If they did regularly, it would make them better. Wish they could.

Nice try - ME finally decided to venture out for a competitive tournament and lost to Heros 7-3 and Sky Walkers 9-6 at the G8 last summer.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Academically?

BC finished last season ranked #19. According to Forbes rankings of America's top colleges, BC is ranked #22. The average GPA for admitted students in the class of 2020 is 3.8. I would say this is a top level school by multiple standards.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I LOVE that our club announces those accomplishments of the players!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I LOVE that our club announces those accomplishments of the players!

I love that our club does too. Why do they consider it "cool" or good that their club doesn't? I guess they want to be like Md United. Md United doesn't post their rosters on the website. You have to register and log in with your email address id they allow you to do that. Monkey see, monkey do.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Is UNC? Is Florida? Is NU? Is Duke? I think so. Guess you don't... Knew this would devolve into this. It is great that the club doesn't promote their commitments. It sets a great tone for the program. Everyone complains about the motivations of clubs etc. Why don't you just say that it's a good example to set by this club director and wish more would behave this way? No, instead you want to try to disparage the girls as somehow being inferior.

So you think they are on the same level as these schools? I was just wondering because it seems like they have a lot of top notch recruits.

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Usually true. Not in this age group. ME has never lost to the group you put them in. But all on here are correct, they don't get to play a lot against the better competition. If they did regularly, it would make them better. Wish they could.

Nice try - ME finally decided to venture out for a competitive tournament and lost to Heros 7-3 and Sky Walkers 9-6 at the G8 last summer.

Nice try. Heros and Skywalkers both had 5 subs on the bench. ME 11 and rotated evenly.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
IMO, any school that is top 25 academically and top 25 lax program is a top program.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Nice try. Heros and Skywalkers both had 5 subs on the bench. ME 11 and rotated evenly.

And this about right for both Hero's and Sky Walkers - 5 subs and a goalie on the bench. And they also rotated evenly. What's your point? Dance with who you bring to the dance? IF the 11 ME players are not up to par - take it up with your club. In Maryland - looks like they just take the girls that belong on that team. And in Maryland they also do not have the luxury of pulling players from such a large area - there are just too many clubs competing for the talent.
I guess you are the dad that has his roster with him on the sideline and stopwatch - to make sure that his girl gets equal playing time. In Maryland that equal playing time thing ended in rec ball - in club - they earn their playing time.
That was such a lame excuse. Next year at G8 bring only the players that should be playing and leave the excuses at home.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
What a beautiful day at Navy. Great location and I hope it ends up helping Navy with recruiting.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

And this about right for both Hero's and Sky Walkers - 5 subs and a goalie on the bench. And they also rotated evenly. What's your point? Dance with who you bring to the dance? IF the 11 ME players are not up to par - take it up with your club. In Maryland - looks like they just take the girls that belong on that team. And in Maryland they also do not have the luxury of pulling players from such a large area - there are just too many clubs competing for the talent.
I guess you are the dad that has his roster with him on the sideline and stopwatch - to make sure that his girl gets equal playing time. In Maryland that equal playing time thing ended in rec ball - in club - they earn their playing time.
That was such a lame excuse. Next year at G8 bring only the players that should be playing and leave the excuses at home.

not an excuse, just a fact. Wish we would. Not how the program is run. But ultimately they do a great job preparing the girls and they have a good time. They would win more if they did as you suggest. Have a great day!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
IMO, any school that is top 25 academically and top 25 lax program is a top program.

agreed!!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Why is there no section for 2019 recruits in laxpower

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Because these are verbals--not official. And reasonable families don't blast this stuff out until they actually sign.

Who is going to McDonogh this weekend? Chipolte and Panerra are within 3 miles as are other good options....

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Because these are verbals--not official. And reasonable families don't blast this stuff out until they actually sign.

Who is going to McDonogh this weekend? Chipolte and Panerra are within 3 miles as are other good options....

There is section for 2018 commits and up, and they have most of the recruits in that class. So you are clearly uninformed about that. Please don't post if you don't know what your're talking about.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Why are there 17s and 18s on laxpower? 17s were verbals until yesterday...

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
It is stupid to post anything this early---girls will become increasingly like the boys and will start flipping their commitments in ever-larger numbers. And McDonogh is one of nicest places to play--but not looking forward to drive down.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Another weekend of MD teams beating up on LI teams.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
It is stupid to post anything this early---girls will become increasingly like the boys and will start flipping their commitments in ever-larger numbers. And McDonogh is one of nicest places to play--but not looking forward to drive down.

You're worried about commitments from HS seniors and juniors? In the past months, most commitments I've heard about are from HS sophomores and even freshmen.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The point is there is no such thing as a solid commitment until signing day senior year. And really, stupid to evaluate the classes until the kids are closer to actually matriculating.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The point is there is no such thing as a solid commitment until signing day senior year. And really, stupid to evaluate the classes until the kids are closer to actually matriculating.

That's fine and good, except 95% of commitments are coming from verbal much sooner than that. They are verbal, but as good as gold. Terms, scholarships, all details of offer are all discussed and decided between coach and player/parents, and are exchanged in formal email. I have never heard of anyone scammed by a coach, even new incoming coaches honor verbal deals from exiting coaches. It is pretty rock solid.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
No, you are wrong--new coaches sometimes don't honor. And if you go Ivy, every year a number of kids don't make the grade....literally.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
No, you are wrong--new coaches sometimes don't honor. And if you go Ivy, every year a number of kids don't make the grade....literally.
Not just Ivies. Two girls didn't make it through admissions for the class that is freshman this year at Duke and 1 at Stanford. Probably more I don't know about elsewhere. Need to hit the ACT/SAT scores outlined, GPA, and number of AP/Honors classes at the top academic schools.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Not just Ivies. Two girls didn't make it through admissions for the class that is freshman this year at Duke and 1 at Stanford. Probably more I don't know about elsewhere. Need to hit the ACT/SAT scores outlined, GPA, and number of AP/Honors classes at the top academic schools.

Exactly, terms of offer were not met, of course there will be commits that don't live up to the agreement and the commitment is lost, that sorta goes without saying.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

That's fine and good, except 95% of commitments are coming from verbal much sooner than that. They are verbal, but as good as gold. Terms, scholarships, all details of offer are all discussed and decided between coach and player/parents, and are exchanged in formal email. I have never heard of anyone scammed by a coach, even new incoming coaches honor verbal deals from exiting coaches. It is pretty rock solid.

You are completely out of your mind . If you are exchanging the deal in a formal email you and your future college coaches are committing a major NCAA violation. It's called s verbal for a reason.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

You are completely out of your mind . If you are exchanging the deal in a formal email you and your future college coaches are committing a major NCAA violation. It's called s verbal for a reason.

I have to believe the posters coming on here bashing the verbals, are the ones that don't have one.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I have to believe the posters coming on here bashing the verbals, are the ones that don't have one.

Not sure who you are aiming that at but to say you and your college coach are putting the deal in emails tells me you do not have a verbal and is misleading. That said the verbal agreements seem to be followed thru upon by just about 100 percent of coaches.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Okay folks, let me try to help, based on our experience only.
My daughter was a 2016, and is now a freshman at a D1 school in a mid-major conference.
Summer after freshman year (2013) of high school she started to get interest from a couple of schools. She made her first unofficial visit (that means we paid for the trip, per NCAA regs)during August of that summer. Over the next year she (we) made 7 more visits. During the summer after her sophomore year she started to get offers. Most of the time, percentages and such was not discussed in detail, but on two occasions it was discussed. During June 2014 (summer after sophomore year) she decided on which school and team she wanted. As instructed by her club coach, she then called the college head coach to accept the offer. We did not have a lot of detail but we knew it was a good offer. So, at this time, it was nothing more than a VERBAL commitment between her and the school. In November of her senior year of high school she signed her NLI. At no time were any details of the offer exchanged via email. I think that would be a violation of NCAA recruiting regs. As a matter of fact, no emails were exchanged prior to the legal date that such emails can be exchanged from college to player, which I believe is September of junior year of high school. Even then, it was after the verbal and fully within NCAA regs. Her club coaches are former college coaches and know the rules inside and out. I suggest anyone going through the process now to get very educated on what is and is not legal. It's not hard to do the research.
As a side note, be realistic about how much the coach can offer. Remember, at most, the coach has 12 scholarships to hand out, across the team. So, do the math...30 players on a team divided by 12 scholarships. Most will get somewhere in the 20-25% range. Sometimes the upper classmen will get a little more as they go up the ladder. Everybody doesn't get an equal amount. If the team is not fully-funded then the coach has fewer scholarships to give and the percentages will be lower. Good luck.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Tons of talent at McDonogh this weekend. Anyone not going?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

My daughter was a 2016, and is now a freshman at a D1 school in a mid-major conference.
Summer after freshman year (2013) of high school she started to get interest from a couple of schools. She made her first unofficial visit (that means we paid for the trip, per NCAA regs)during August of that summer. Over the next year she (we) made 7 more visits. During the summer after her sophomore year she started to get offers. Most of the time, percentages and such was not discussed in detail, but on two occasions it was discussed. During June 2014 (summer after sophomore year) she decided on which school and team she wanted. As instructed by her club coach, she then called the college head coach to accept the offer. We did not have a lot of detail but we knew it was a good offer. So, at this time, it was nothing more than a VERBAL commitment between her and the school. In November of her senior year of high school she signed her NLI. At no time were any details of the offer exchanged via email. I think that would be a violation of NCAA recruiting regs. As a matter of fact, no emails were exchanged prior to the legal date that such emails can be exchanged from college to player, which I believe is September of junior year of high school. Even then, it was after the verbal and fully within NCAA regs. Her club coaches are former college coaches and know the rules inside and out. I suggest anyone going through the process now to get very educated on what is and is not legal. It's not hard to do the research.
As a side note, be realistic about how much the coach can offer. Remember, at most, the coach has 12 scholarships to hand out, across the team. So, do the math...30 players on a team divided by 12 scholarships. Most will get somewhere in the 20-25% range. Sometimes the upper classmen will get a little more as they go up the ladder. Everybody doesn't get an equal amount. If the team is not fully-funded then the coach has fewer scholarships to give and the percentages will be lower. Good luck.

Thanks for the input, but when you said"we did not have a lot of details, but we knew it was a good offer" the only real details you needed were percentage of tuition or total cost...Did you have those details? When my daughter was going through the process, all her teammates had the details that mattered in making the decision. IMO i dont think people should be making decisions without having the details, You dont want people reading this and saying its ok to not have details and commit, think thats the wrong message here.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Thanks for the input, but when you said"we did not have a lot of details, but we knew it was a good offer" the only real details you needed were percentage of tuition or total cost...Did you have those details? When my daughter was going through the process, all her teammates had the details that mattered in making the decision. IMO i dont think people should be making decisions without having the details, You dont want people reading this and saying its ok to not have details and commit, think thats the wrong message here.
My daughter committed September of her sophomore year to a top 10 lacrosse program. When she was verbally offered by the coach over the phone, the coach told her the scholarship percentage which was a percentage applied to all-in costs for everything (tuition, books, room and board). We (her parents) spoke to the coach on that same call to confirm all of the details. My daughter called her back the following day to accept the offer and make a verbal commitment. We never got anything in writing other than her word. She will sihn her NLI early next year. that is how it worked for my daughter (she is a 2018).

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

You're right. My mistake...kinda got lost in translation. What I meant to say was that when the initial offer would come from a coach, especially from a school my daughter wasn't really interested in, all we knew was that the coach was making an offer, and it was up to us to contact the coach and ask those questions. Most of the time we didn't really pursue the offer other than to say thank you. That's how I should've written it. But, when it came down to the two she was interested in, we asked for further info about percentages and if it was a percentage of just tuition or a percentage of total cost. My daughter took the offer of percentage of total cost and it was at the school she liked more anyways. Thanks for calling me out on that. I do not want to pass on bad info. Trying to help.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
To the original point, yes verbals are given and it is a rock solid offer. The original poster was saying it means nothing, when in fact it means everything. Any and all the details of the offer are or at least should be discussed, bargained and negotiated all during the verbal process.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I recently read on one of the BOTC forums that yj doesn't post their commitments on their website, for some strange reason. I read that they think it's cool to not post them. However, I just went to their website for the first time, and their college commitments are clearly listed, going all the way back to 2004. And, there were actually some posters who were saying that it was a good thing to not post commitments. Why would it be a good thing? However, they're not special...just another club lax team.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I think you are confusing interest with an offer. Coaches will reach out to talk, set up a visit, etc. an offer may follow or it may not.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I recently read on one of the BOTC forums that yj doesn't post their commitments on their website, for some strange reason. I read that they think it's cool to not post them. However, I just went to their website for the first time, and their college commitments are clearly listed, going all the way back to 2004. And, there were actually some posters who were saying that it was a good thing to not post commitments. Why would it be a good thing? However, they're not special...just another club lax team.

Your very confused on all your points. you need to regroup.

Page 7 of 21 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 20 21

Link Copied to Clipboard