BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open for Registration on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted! | Invest for Growth - ADVERTISE with us!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
Boys High School Lax
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,814
Posts387,518
Members2,608
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 24 of 58 1 2 22 23 24 25 26 57 58
Re: Early Recruiting
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
the professions that absolutely depend on a specific degree would of course include engineering, accounting (CPA), and obviously medicine.
if you contend that business degree is essential...you are over emphasizing that. look at virtually any aspect of business including wall street. majority of the entry level jobs have no college prep for real job. you leverage connections and relationships to attain a shot. perhaps a person who can write is more qualified for certain business jobs, international studies well rounded in world knowledge and so forth. these are also usefull tools in the business world.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
you are beyond an a-hole. dismissing those sort of degrees.

Sounds like you have your head in the sand. I think the argument is what's better longterm a basic degree from a great school or a stronger more specialized degree from a lesser school. I would say as long as the PLAYER picks his or her major then its great. If you were going for communications at either a community college or UNC then you hit the jackpot at UNC however if you wanted to be an engineer and got talked into a different major just so you could play well that can be argued. You cant argue that the teams majors are reflective of the overall UNC population the team majors are skewed but maybe that's just a coincidence !

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I played at Cornell and you were highly advised of the challenges to playing a D1 sport and pursuing an Engineering degree. There were 3 Engineers 0 Architechts on the team...

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
It is well known that at Duke and UNC; players are guided away from classes that require labs in addition to classroom. This in itself will take many out of the possibility of science based majors

you are beyond an a-hole. dismissing those sort of degrees.

Sounds like you have your head in the sand. I think the argument is what's better longterm a basic degree from a great school or a stronger more specialized degree from a lesser school. I would say as long as the PLAYER picks his or her major then its great. If you were going for communications at either a community college or UNC then you hit the jackpot at UNC however if you wanted to be an engineer and got talked into a different major just so you could play well that can be argued. You cant argue that the teams majors are reflective of the overall UNC population the team majors are skewed but maybe that's just a coincidence !

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I played at Cornell and you were highly advised of the challenges to playing a D1 sport and pursuing an Engineering degree. There were 3 Engineers 0 Architechts on the team...

THANK YOU, that's all we were saying embrace that this happens because it does. PS GREAT SCHOOL, congrats

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

The majority of the lacrosse players at Cornell are admitted through the Agriculture school.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The make up of the team when i played generally reflected the makeup of the university as a whole in terms of per capita representation of the various colleges at Cornell (there are seven colleges with their own admissions) with the exception of Architecture. I was encouraged to apply early to the ag school but I wanted Arts. Coach didn't seem as comfortable with that--perhaps based on admission leeway granted--but I was accepted to Arts. Great experience there. Name helps on resume with first job and at parties, but ultimately you take out of college what you put into it--any college.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

The majority of the lacrosse players at Cornell are admitted through the Agriculture school.

As per college board, the biggest major at Cornell is Engineering for the general population

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
UNC, the national woman champs where kids off the street must have an average SAT score of 1300 (re: college board) and here are is the teams majors-

12 excercise science, 11 undeclared, 10 communications, 1, history, 1 psych, 1 sociology, 1 geography, 1 economics, 1 nursing

Great degree from a great school but it looks like they are there to major in lacrosse and win a national championship which they did.

Anyone that thinks lots of schools don't steer recruits to certain majors is fooling themselves. Thos degrees above look like community college, not UNC kids!

So WHAT?? That is their choice! Not everyone wants to be a Dr., Lawyer etc.. Worry about what your kid is doing. The kids at UNC and kids like that will be just fine. They have all worked hard and know what it takes to be successful. Don't be surprised if your ultra smart kid with no social skills ends up working for one of those kids.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Many schools restrict majors (nursing for one) but that's just because of the conflicts with labs, they just don't have the time to do both. I was told this first hand at a few schools we visited.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
UNC, the national woman champs where kids off the street must have an average SAT score of 1300 (re: college board) and here are is the teams majors-

12 excercise science, 11 undeclared, 10 communications, 1, history, 1 psych, 1 sociology, 1 geography, 1 economics, 1 nursing

Great degree from a great school but it looks like they are there to major in lacrosse and win a national championship which they did.

Anyone that thinks lots of schools don't steer recruits to certain majors is fooling themselves. Thos degrees above look like community college, not UNC kids!

So WHAT?? That is their choice! Not everyone wants to be a Dr., Lawyer etc.. Worry about what your kid is doing. The kids at UNC and kids like that will be just fine. They have all worked hard and know what it takes to be successful. Don't be surprised if your ultra smart kid with no social skills ends up working for one of those kids.

Again the point is lost - for 1st time parents just be aware that many schools and coaches politely steer kids into certain programs and away from others. Not saying that is a bad thing but it is a fact and does happen. Be prepared

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Has anyone heard if the initiative to delay commits until 11th grade has been approved or is dead or when it would take effect?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Has anyone heard if the initiative to delay commits until 11th grade has been approved or is dead or when it would take effect?

At this time Tentative for August 2017.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

so next 11 months will be nuts with people trying to get in early under the old rules?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
there is no agreement in place

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

It's not tentative because it has not been accepted, nor will it. No way other NCAA sports will agree to that.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

It's not tentative because it has not been accepted, nor will it. No way other NCAA sports will agree to that.
The other sports don't have to agree to it. However, agree from what I have heard from some of the coaches involved in the initiative, it is doubtful that it will pass.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The topic will be voted on April 1st 2017. If passes it will begin Aug 1st 2017.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The topic will be voted on April 1st 2017. If passes it will begin Aug 1st 2017.

It would be an enforcement nightmare. And why would the NCAA want to deal with that?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

It would be an enforcement nightmare. And why would the NCAA want to deal with that?

Because signing 12 years is beyond insane

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

nobody signs anything. These are verbal agreements that aren't binding on either party.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

nobody signs anything. These are verbal agreements that aren't binding on either party.

Even if there was a contract, kid < 18 signs it's not enforceable. So the only ones impacted if this does go thru would be all those 19 year old sophomores in Maryland.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Verbals always stand otherwise coaches wouldn't be trusted

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Had a question and wasnt sure which thread to post. Was thinking about getting a few private lessons for my son. Been referred to a former d1 and mll player. Was curious to hear what is the going rate? Is it 80 or more like 60? Just curious what people have heard. No garbage remarks back please just some helpful insight. Thx for any advice.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Verbals always stand otherwise coaches wouldn't be trusted

Yup. The power is all w the kids and their families. So don't worry about it being too young or whatever. If you think it is for your kid, just wait. It's all ok.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Had a question and wasnt sure which thread to post. Was thinking about getting a few private lessons for my son. Been referred to a former d1 and mll player. Was curious to hear what is the going rate? Is it 80 or more like 60? Just curious what people have heard. No garbage remarks back please just some helpful insight. Thx for any advice.

I wouldn't pay anywhere near those amounts. Ask a local highschool kid and he'll be happy to do it for $20/hr session. My son works with a current d1 player during the summer and a senior that is committed to a d1 school.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

My son gets 50 as an elite HS senior. I've heard some of the college guys getting 80

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I wouldn't pay anywhere near those amounts. Ask a local highschool kid and he'll be happy to do it for $20/hr session. My son works with a current d1 player during the summer and a senior that is committed to a d1 school.

The better HS kids are getting at least 40, and they're booked! You get what you pay for!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

My son gets 50 as an elite HS senior. I've heard some of the college guys getting 80

You actually referred to your kid as elite?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

The better HS kids are getting at least 40, and they're booked! You get what you pay for!

Surely you're joking. OP, don't get caught up in the hustle. A fool and his money are easily parted.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Surely you're joking. OP, don't get caught up in the hustle. A fool and his money are easily parted.

I'd pay $80 to a D1/Pro before MC of Express who has the audacity to charge $100!

But the trained high school junior or senior for less than $50 is probably a better bet.

Best of all – watch a few videos of the pros online together, then work with your son in the backyard! Just make it fun quality time.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
There was a guy in PA that use to charge $120/HR and have 8 kids at the session. Shaking my head now. One group would leave and another would be coming in. And he never went and hour and 5 minutes, used the last 5 minutes to fetch balls. He's not out in California probably doing the same.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
GET AN SAT TUTOR, now that is money well spent! We've been there, trust me nobody cares about lacrosse except their club directors and mom and dad!!!! Higher SAT scores brings in tons of cash

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Send your kid to camp. If he wants it enough he will play every day on the bounce back. Unless he's a foo keep your $$

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

2x All American, yes elite. And worked damn hard to get there! Has plenty to offer and worth what he charges!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

2x All American, yes elite. And worked damn hard to get there! Has plenty to offer and worth what he charges!

So you are saying your son was an all American as a HS sophomore and junior ??

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

No, as a Jr. And Sr. He's in college now. Why are you so argumentative? I'm just giving some realistic input. This is the amount of money he and a few of his friends who are great players get for private training. And FYI, this is the amount we paid when he was younger.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

No, as a Jr. And Sr. He's in college now. Why are you so argumentative? I'm just giving some realistic input. This is the amount of money he and a few of his friends who are great players get for private training. And FYI, this is the amount we paid when he was younger.

Because you are an arrogant tool.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Your best bet is to get a college player who can maybe give lessons to your son and one other to cut the cost and there is only so. Much one can do without getting tired

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Just saw where IWCLA is changing field locations for Presidents cup in LarryMiller. The 2019 staying at Disney and Open teams going half way to Tampa on Friday night. So let me get this right the same leaders/authors against early recruiting(the board of IWCLA) are changing the schedule so they don't have to drive on Friday night. And let's not forgot they change the recruiting schedule so they could recruit Friday-this is to be a dead period. Oh yes I forgot to the poor kids in Open and 2017 division-don't commit early-this type of action suggest something very different.

An we are to expect are kids to learn from these coaches? Actions are much louder than your words. IWCLA is a joke. No wonder why NCAA has yet pass your proposals.

Like Reply Quote
Page 24 of 58 1 2 22 23 24 25 26 57 58
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Link Copied to Clipboard