BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open for Registration on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted! | Invest for Growth - ADVERTISE with us!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
Girls High School Lax
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,802
Posts385,610
Members2,606
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rating: 1
Page 29 of 220 1 2 27 28 29 30 31 219 220
Re: Long Island Top Guns Lacrosse
User
User
Originally Posted by Anonymous
When we signed up TG claimed that they did not look at black and purple as A and B, but their goal was to have two competitive teams. This was not what they got - at least for our year. Purple was not even competitive at most of the tournaments - meanwhile black was always in the finals. Given their philosophy we really were scrathing our heads over why they even bothered having purple - and then not coaching it and trying to develop it. Maybe this has been different for other years - but this was our experience.

What age group?

Back of the Cage
Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

Back of THE CAGE
OP Offline
Back of THE CAGE
If you want your daughter to make the black team it's very easy. 1) Have her insist on taking the draw. They NEVER do it doing practice (and by the way the 2017 never scrimmaged at a practice-not once)and tell her to go right to the goal. She doesn't have to pass to anyone and won't be corrected. 2) Follow Mr. Smith around like a duckling and quack in his ear. 3)Live in one of the Islips. Glad I saved my $35, see you in Maryland.

We haven't done any of that and made the team. Sorry it didn't work out for you.

Like Reply Quote
User
User
As far as 2015 goes i cant believe there not going to upgrade there goalie, There #1 is very good but there were 2 better goalies at tryouts for that second slot that are just as good as the #1

Really? Their goalies are pretty good.

No response from the original poster commenting on the goalies yet?

Back of the Cage
Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
As I have stated before, my daughter has played on other elite teams. She has always wanted to play TopGuns, but she didn't have any friends that played there, so we never tried out. She has decided to make lax her number 1 priority going forward and want's to play for a great club and Top Guns was her choice. In our expierence, none of the other clubs were very warm. Since her tryout at TopGuns, that's all she can talk about (she had said that theplayers from last years team were very receptive to her. Everything that we have seen thus far and based on our old expierences, Top Guns is the team for us. Good luck to all!!!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
When we signed up TG claimed that they did not look at black and purple as A and B, but their goal was to have two competitive teams. This was not what they got - at least for our year. Purple was not even competitive at most of the tournaments - meanwhile black was always in the finals. Given their philosophy we really were scrathing our heads over why they even bothered having purple - and then not coaching it and trying to develop it. Maybe this has been different for other years - but this was our experience.

I'm sure they WANT two competitive teams. However, in travel lax, all the best players need to be on the top team, in order to compete at tournaments. I'm surprised they would tell you differently. What was their response when you reminded them about what they told you?

Every purple player should realize, going in, that you're the 2nd team, and therefore will NOT be treated exactly the same. Either go somewhere else, or make the best of it, work hard, and try to get better, and make black the following year.

I do think it depends on the age group, as you said. Groups with many girls to pick from should have a better chance to field a competitive purple team. I heard 2019 had very few girls, while 2017 got to pick the top 45 of about 70 players.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
2019 age group can barely form 2 teams let alone 2 competitive teams.Their black 2019 has a very good starting group but there was a huge drop off in talent with the backups last year ,which could have been because many of the backups were in fact 2020.Did not see much new talent to replace those younger kids who were moved down so in my opinion the drop off will be even more steep this year.Hopefully some of those kids develop over the years to make a more balanced team.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
If you want your daughter to make the black team it's very easy. 1) Have her insist on taking the draw. They NEVER do it doing practice (and by the way the 2017 never scrimmaged at a practice-not once)and tell her to go right to the goal. She doesn't have to pass to anyone and won't be corrected. 2) Follow Mr. Smith around like a duckling and quack in his ear. 3)Live in one of the Islips. Glad I saved my $35, see you in Maryland.

My first experience with travel lacrosse. My daughter and her friends traveled a pretty long distance to try out for TG. They gave their best, and made black. None of this BS you speak of. You want your daughter to make black, tell her to work hard and she's got a chance.

Like Reply Quote
User
User
2019 age group can barely form 2 teams let alone 2 competitive teams.Their black 2019 has a very good starting group but there was a huge drop off in talent with the backups last year ,which could have been because many of the backups were in fact 2020.Did not see much new talent to replace those younger kids who were moved down so in my opinion the drop off will be even more steep this year.Hopefully some of those kids develop over the years to make a more balanced team.

The good thing is they are REALLY young so the talent levels will increase each year depending on the girl. We have seen tremendous individual improvement from year to year and that's the exciting part. Watching them grow in a positive encouraging environment is priceless. It's also why kids shouldn't be written off in 3rd or 4th grade if they can't catch and throw as well as others. Take it easy evaluating these young teams and maybe save it for the 2013s and 2014s where it's more appropriate. Remember today's cast off could be tomorrow's Shannon Smith!

Back of the Cage
Like Reply Quote
User
User

My first experience with travel lacrosse. My daughter and her friends traveled a pretty long distance to try out for TG. They gave their best, and made black. None of this BS you speak of. You want your daughter to make black, tell her to work hard and she's got a chance.

Well said!

Back of the Cage
Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Don't worry your daughter will be moved to purple soon enough,let me guess you made black on the youngest level.Wait till all the nonsense starts ,the private lessons with the coach or someone in power ,then they will replace your daughter with someone from your coaches home school.Good luck all the hard work in the world doesn't trump connections and it sounds as if you and your daughter have none.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Don't worry your daughter will be moved to purple soon enough,let me guess you made black on the youngest level.Wait till all the nonsense starts ,the private lessons with the coach or someone in power ,then they will replace your daughter with someone from your coaches home school.Good luck all the hard work in the world doesn't trump connections and it sounds as if you and your daughter have none.

Connections or talent will get your daughter on the teams, sounds like his daughter has talent. What's your deal?

Like Reply Quote
User
User

N

Wow you are really negative. Sorry you have been dealt such bad cards. I hope you find a place you can be happy and good luck in the future.

Back of the Cage
Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

My daughter was on purple last year.We had an awesome time bonding with the parents and the girls all got along. I was able to watch quite a few black games and while they had talent I couldn't help but feel there was no "chemistry" amongst the girls. I am happy to say my daughter made purple again and I look forward to meeting new friends. I am hearing that many girls from both teams were cut, and while it saddens me I believe the intent is to make 2 strong "A" teams. Good luck to all of the girls where ever they land.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

You're assuming a lot here aren't you. Why so bitter, certainly must be better things to do with your time than to assume you know anything about my daughter or most other girls here. If there are these lessons to be learned I will learn them i suppose, but I will be the judge of all this. Your bad experience is none of my concern, I've heard the same stories from other parents, and I've heard great experiences from even others. You sound like a parent whose daughter got moved from black to purple and are upset about it. There are only two possible reasons for that to happen, 1) she just isn't as good as you think she is, or 2) what you say is true.
If it happens to my daughter I'll move on and won't spend a lot of time on a message board posting anonymously to strangers.
You are right , I don't have any connections...none at all. So my daughter earned her own shot and it is on her to work hard and keep that spot. I don't teach my child that it's someone else's fault if she doesn't succeed, I hope you don't either.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

My daughter was on purple last year.We had an awesome time bonding with the parents and the girls all got along. I was able to watch quite a few black games and while they had talent I couldn't help but feel there was no "chemistry" amongst the girls. I am happy to say my daughter made purple again and I look forward to meeting new friends. I am hearing that many girls from both teams were cut, and while it saddens me I believe the intent is to make 2 strong "A" teams. Good luck to all of the girls where ever they land.

Sounds very encouraging. Which age group are you with?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Really? I thougt there were quite a few talented 2020 girls. You have to keep in mind that they are a year younger than our 2019 girls, that year makes a big difference and for most this was their first year playing travel. Like you I am very concerned for our 2019 black team this year. We lost the 2020 girls and from what I saw there wasn't really anything all that impressive at tryouts.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
When there is turnover on one of the black teams, how likely are kids to actually move up from purple to black vesus, kids new to the program filling spots on the black teams?

My experience is that the majority of kids new to the black teams come from outside TG. I think it's pretty tough to move from purple to black. Kudos to those who do.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I would not worry about the 2019 team. Competition is not strong at this age and the entire core team is back. The game is controlled by your strongest 10 kids. A few purple kids will slide in to replace some of the 2020's and a few new kids will do just fine as well. This team will continue to evolve over the next two years. Many talented kids don't start playing lax until 7th grade so there is an opportunity to pick up a few more strong kids in the coming years (new kids or transfers).

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

You're assuming a lot here aren't you. Why so bitter, certainly must be better things to do with your time than to assume you know anything about my daughter or most other girls here. If there are these lessons to be learned I will learn them i suppose, but I will be the judge of all this. Your bad experience is none of my concern, I've heard the same stories from other parents, and I've heard great experiences from even others. You sound like a parent whose daughter got moved from black to purple and are upset about it. There are only two possible reasons for that to happen, 1) she just isn't as good as you think she is, or 2) what you say is true.
If it happens to my daughter I'll move on and won't spend a lot of time on a message board posting anonymously to strangers.
You are right , I don't have any connections...none at all. So my daughter earned her own shot and it is on her to work hard and keep that spot. I don't teach my child that it's someone else's fault if she doesn't succeed, I hope you don't either.

You are the one making assumptions.Stating there was none of the bs that people speak of yet you are new to travel lacrosse so how would you know.You also assume I know little about your daughter when I bet I know more then you think.Not the best player on her town team but you think she might be.Town team has done very well but have not really tested themselves.Been paying for private lessons because you think your town coach either doesn't do enough for your child, isn't good enough for your child,always complaining on the sideline about your town coach even after they have done more for your child in lacrosse then you have,made TG top team supposedly wo connections ,doubt it.I know more then you think .

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

You are the one making assumptions.Stating there was none of the bs that people speak of yet you are new to travel lacrosse so how would you know.You also assume I know little about your daughter when I bet I know more then you think.Not the best player on her town team but you think she might be.Town team has done very well but have not really tested themselves.Been paying for private lessons because you think your town coach either doesn't do enough for your child, isn't good enough for your child,always complaining on the sideline about your town coach even after they have done more for your child in lacrosse then you have,made TG top team supposedly wo connections ,doubt it.I know more then you think .

THAT'S HYSTERICAL. You have me confused with someone else, although I do have a private lesson for my daughter once in a while. Those generalizations you could say about anybody on this board. Every parent thinks their kid is good, every parent thinks their coach is crazy....Like I said I tell my daughter she has to earn her spot and keep it, if she doesn't I would be here complaining like you are right now.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

way to go out on a limb there, that could be said about 99% of the girls who play.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Good luck to your fellow TG parents on 2020 ,kid has not been on the team for 2 minutes and daddy is already giving out advice.Let me try this assumption business, your town coach cannot stand you because all you do on the sidelines is complain about him and his kid, you think the better kids on the team are ball hogs.You have threatened to leave your town team or have even played for other teams within your town or other towns teams.You pay your kid for goals but not assists or ground balls.You should take your child to YJ so you fit in with those parents although you will not because there is a good chance she does not make the top team over there.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I just wanna kick the 6th grade Middle Country girls butts this year!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Good luck to your fellow TG parents on 2020 ,kid has not been on the team for 2 minutes and daddy is already giving out advice.Let me try this assumption business, your town coach cannot stand you because all you do on the sidelines is complain about him and his kid, you think the better kids on the team are ball hogs.You have threatened to leave your town team or have even played for other teams within your town or other towns teams.You pay your kid for goals but not assists or ground balls.You should take your child to YJ so you fit in with those parents although you will not because there is a good chance she does not make the top team over there.

who said anything about 2020? I wish your daughter the best, I'm done with this.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I just wanna kick the 6th grade Middle Country girls butts this year!

Is that age 2018 or 2019?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Anyone know how many girls got cut from the 2017 black team.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

who said anything about 2020? I wish your daughter the best, I'm done with this.

You didn't have to, so obvious ,good luck to you and your daughter,

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
[quote=Anonymous]If you want your daughter to make the black team it's very easy. 1) Have her insist on taking the draw. They NEVER do it doing practice (and by the way the 2017 never scrimmaged at a practice-not once)and tell her to go right to the goal. She doesn't have to pass to anyone and won't be corrected. 2) Follow Mr. Smith around like a duckling and quack in his ear. 3)Live in one of the Islips. Glad I saved my $35, see you in Maryland.

Good luck to your fellow TG parents on 2020 ,kid has not been on the team for 2 minutes and daddy is already giving out advice.Let me try this assumption business, your town coach cannot stand you because all you do on the sidelines is complain about him and his kid, you think the better kids on the team are ball hogs.You have threatened to leave your town team or have even played for other teams within your town or other towns teams.You pay your kid for goals but not assists or ground balls.You should take your child to YJ so you fit in with those parents although you will not because there is a good chance she does not make the top team over there. [/qu

If a parent really pays their daughter for the goals she scores, that is disgraceful. If you really feel the need to pay them for something (not that I think it's necessary) then you should pay them for every A that they earn on their report card. A's will take them a lot further in life than goals scored on town or travel lacrosse.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Anyone know who the coaches are for each team?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I think it's obvious that teams were formed 8 days after tryouts, after a booze vacation. How could the prospects be fresh in anyones head after that?? Were last years coaches given any input? Is TG so desperate to have former YJ on the 17/18 teams that they may have cut their nose to spite their face? Let's just hope we dont have another group of girls who don't pass. And yes, my daughter is on black, just very dissapointed at a few of the girls who were moved, not all-and VERY surprised at 1 who stayed. New additions already flapping there traps about how after the season they will have to make room for more of their friends who didn't try out. Time will tell. To the girls who were moved to purple- you still have fans on black and we intend on cheering you on at every game.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I think it's obvious that teams were formed 8 days after tryouts, after a booze vacation. How could the prospects be fresh in anyones head after that?? Were last years coaches given any input? Is TG so desperate to have former YJ on the 17/18 teams that they may have cut their nose to spite their face? Let's just hope we dont have another group of girls who don't pass. And yes, my daughter is on black, just very dissapointed at a few of the girls who were moved, not all-and VERY surprised at 1 who stayed. New additions already flapping there traps about how after the season they will have to make room for more of their friends who didn't try out. Time will tell. To the girls who were moved to purple- you still have fans on black and we intend on cheering you on at every game.

So, are you saying that 2017 purple is getting some strong players/good people from last year's black team?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

So, are you saying that 2017 purple is getting some strong players/good people from last year's black team?

My daughter is on black again, and my understanding is we lost a smart offender and a strong defender, and we picked up girls who I remember from our town team but played for another big name travel team for past 2 years. I'm saying I wish them all a great season, hooping the tryout process gets more refined each year.

Like Reply Quote
Back of THE CAGE
OP Offline
Back of THE CAGE

Wow, that's a lot of negativity. Leave if you think it's that bad. Or be quiet. But don't sit around and [lacrosse].

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

How nice , another example of TG parents welcoming all new players and ringing endorsement of those in charge.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

How nice , another example of TG parents welcoming all new players and ringing endorsement of those in charge.

Go back to YJ, where you see the same exact stuff...

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I would think so. Based on last season, it looked like 2017 was the black roster most in need of significant turnover/upgrades.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Go back to YJ, where you see the same exact stuff...

Not exactly the same, you do not see YJ parents going after CR like your TG parent going after SS .Not sure how they know who is on your teams yet anyway as I do not think a roster has been posted. Who knows if it was even a TG parent to begin with but I have seen the TG higher ups fawning over some YJ players and practically begging them to come over.The TG 2018 vs YJ games would be close this year but your 2017 is not even close.Good luck .

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

My daughter is on black again, and my understanding is we lost a smart offender and a strong defender, and we picked up girls who I remember from our town team but played for another big name travel team for past 2 years. I'm saying I wish them all a great season, hooping the tryout process gets more refined each year.

Oh, I see. Well, hopefully, they decide to stay and play for purple, and we can field a competitive team, along with the new purple players. If you had a group of players that didn't pass, maybe the changes will help you out, overall. Good luck to all of you on the black team. I hope both teams have a great experience!

Like Reply Quote
User
User

The above poster is an embarrassment. In no way does their opinion reflect that of the other TG members. These type of posts are not constructive nor are they informative. They are like a cancer that needs to be removed. If this poster is in fact a TG parent and not someone just talking S&#T I ask why in Gods name did you return? You honestly sound like it may be time for you to be happy and find another club to bash. If not I suggest you try and be positive and constructive so possibly your views will be listened to as opposed to laughed at. See you soon.

Back of the Cage
Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I would think so. Based on last season, it looked like 2017 was the black roster most in need of significant turnover/upgrades.

I'm sure rosters won't be posted until checks are cashed, which is supposed to be at the end of this month. Should be interesting to see the turnover/upgrades.

Like Reply Quote
Page 29 of 220 1 2 27 28 29 30 31 219 220
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Link Copied to Clipboard