BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open for Registration on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted! | Invest for Growth - ADVERTISE with us!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
Boys High School Lax
by Anonymous -
Girls High School Lax
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,802
Posts385,545
Members2,606
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 59 of 128 1 2 57 58 59 60 61 127 128
Re: Crabs Lacrosse / Baltimore Lacrosse Club
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Pre-first, then 8th grade version 2.0 at Boys' Latin is how. Standard recipe in the MIAA. There is hardly such a thing as a 14 year old 9th grade lacrosse player anymore. Sad but true.

The best senior in the country, Conrad, just graduated High School at age 18. That means he was 14 starting 9th grade, like you're supposed to be. They're still out there.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Pre-first, then 8th grade version 2.0 at Boys' Latin is how. Standard recipe in the MIAA. There is hardly such a thing as a 14 year old 9th grade lacrosse player anymore. Sad but true.

The best senior in the country, Conrad, just graduated High School at age 18. That means he was 14 starting 9th grade, like you're supposed to be. They're still out there.

Congratulations to him! Wish there were more families that had faith in their kid's talent.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Dont have any clue about this guy.. But in MIAA graduating at 18 is no guarantee that he wasn't held back. He could be 19 in June, July or August like most holdbacks.. If a player in his senior year turns 18 during school year and is a top talent in MIAA ..he is a rarity...

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Ummm, no it doesn't

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
You can't repeat a grade in public school unless you flunk a grade, and I doubt that is a widely practiced lacrosse strategy by upper class predominantly white households. You can do it in the private schools, and that is a private family choice. I posted "there is hardly such a thing" and the general point is true. Youth lacrosse is littered with kids playing down 1-2 years because youth teams are school year based and there isn't a rule against repeating grades. The natural order is to go to a lacrosse prep school, and then hopefully play college lacrosse.

I don't think it is real healthy to pick one kid as a specimen sample to go check his birth date on the internet to bring back a eureka discovery about finding an 18 year old MIAA senior. Good for the 18 year old MIAA seniors, if you are still out there. Mom and Dad saved a year of prep school tuition and the kid is off to college as wished for. But let's cut the Cagney & Lacey baloney people...Crabs 2019 or Madlax 2019 or FCA 2019, the broad point is that youth lacrosse is poisoned by this all the way down the youth ranks now. It really isn't too convincing at all to come back and say here are the couple of Crabs who are on age. That is about as weak as a 90%+ white prep school putting a picture of the token minority kids on the front page of the brochures. This sport is inches away from a 30 for 30 ESPN expose on how badly this has gone. The opening segment could be Dom Starsia interview, followed by what he does the next day(s) or week(s) not comporting at all with each other.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I just googled the 2019 crab player who just announced his Verbal to UNC. His named came up on a 2018 crabs roster. And his name came up on high school JV roster as a 9th grader. Was this a error or is he a reclass doing 9th again, or is he doing a PG year. And the other 2019 kid is a Canada from Edge so we all know he is 15 and a half at the least.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Ummm, no it doesn't

Uhh, yes it does. The article in November of 2012 listed him as a 15 year old sophomore. So in 2014 he was a 17 year old senior who I assume turned 18 some time during the school year.

For the poster who said "pick one kid as a specimen sample". I didn't just pick one kid, I picked the best player in the country who just won the UA all star game MVP and is on the U-19 final 50. This BS that all MIAA schools play with older kids just simply isn't true of the Catholic schools. There may be a few kids here and there that have been held back for academic reasons or a kid who started at a school that has pre-first then moved over later but they are by far the exception rather than the rule. My kid is the correct age for his year so this isn't an issue for me. I do think that the MIAA should start to enforce the rule that you may not play a sport if you turn 19 prior to August 31st.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
You did just pick one kid. One kid who happened to be a great player, but one kid. Hey man, come back with 30 names on the BL varsity roster who are on age. Or Gilman. Or CH, or Loyola...if this is by far the exception and not the rule, go right ahead and show us all up right now.

If the hold back epidemic is all bunk, it is a pretty easy thing to do to just point to the data and end the arguments. Have at it sport, we're all eyes for that post.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Spring 2000!
I just googled the 2019 crab player who just announced his Verbal to UNC. His named came up on a 2018 crabs roster. And his name came up on high school JV roster as a 9th grader. Was this a error or is he a reclass doing 9th again, or is he doing a PG year. And the other 2019 kid is a Canada from Edge so we all know he is 15 and a half at the least.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
My son is may 2000 birthday and he is starting 11th grade next month. Wow. I can't even picture him out there playing with 9th graders this fall. He'd run roughshod over them.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
What is a PG year?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
You can't repeat a grade in public school unless you flunk a grade, and I doubt that is a widely practiced lacrosse strategy by upper class predominantly white households. You can do it in the private schools, and that is a private family choice. I posted "there is hardly such a thing" and the general point is true. Youth lacrosse is littered with kids playing down 1-2 years because youth teams are school year based and there isn't a rule against repeating grades. The natural order is to go to a lacrosse prep school, and then hopefully play college lacrosse.

I don't think it is real healthy to pick one kid as a specimen sample to go check his birth date on the internet to bring back a eureka discovery about finding an 18 year old MIAA senior. Good for the 18 year old MIAA seniors, if you are still out there. Mom and Dad saved a year of prep school tuition and the kid is off to college as wished for. But let's cut the Cagney & Lacey baloney people...Crabs 2019 or Madlax 2019 or FCA 2019, the broad point is that youth lacrosse is poisoned by this all the way down the youth ranks now. It really isn't too convincing at all to come back and say here are the couple of Crabs who are on age. That is about as weak as a 90%+ white prep school putting a picture of the token minority kids on the front page of the brochures. This sport is inches away from a 30 for 30 ESPN expose on how badly this has gone. The opening segment could be Dom Starsia interview, followed by what he does the next day(s) or week(s) not comporting at all with each other.

Do not paint FCA 2019 with the holdback/reclassified brush. To my knowlege, they have 2 or 3 kids born before Sept of 2000 and 4 or 5 are on-age-rising 8th graders.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
What is a PG year?

Post Graduate school. Like going to a school like Heartgrave Military school. Just google high schools 9-12,PG and tons will pop up. Mostly boarding schools.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Do not paint FCA 2019 with the holdback/reclassified brush. To my knowlege, they have 2 or 3 kids born before Sept of 2000 and 4 or 5 are on-age-rising 8th graders.

I love the logic of we only have 2 and you have 4 and they have 6 so they are the bad guys and we are not. How many reclassed kids tried out for the FCA team I am guessing 2 or 3. That is the point tell me when your club had a reclass kid show up and the owners said you are to old please go play for the crabs. Then I will be impressed. Show me on your clubs website where it says only on age kids may play for my team. then you will get credit.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
My son is may 2000 birthday and he is starting 11th grade next month. Wow. I can't even picture him out there playing with 9th graders this fall. He'd run roughshod over them.

Your son must have skipped a grade. Kids born in May 2000 are 15 years old and going into 10th grade, unless they were held back to 9th grade.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Ummm, no it doesn't

Uhh, yes it does. The article in November of 2012 listed him as a 15 year old sophomore. So in 2014 he was a 17 year old senior who I assume turned 18 some time during the school year.

For the poster who said "pick one kid as a specimen sample". I didn't just pick one kid, I picked the best player in the country who just won the UA all star game MVP and is on the U-19 final 50. This BS that all MIAA schools play with older kids just simply isn't true of the Catholic schools. There may be a few kids here and there that have been held back for academic reasons or a kid who started at a school that has pre-first then moved over later but they are by far the exception rather than the rule. My kid is the correct age for his year so this isn't an issue for me. I do think that the MIAA should start to enforce the rule that you may not play a sport if you turn 19 prior to August 31st.

Ummm, no it doesn't

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Ummm, no it doesn't

Ummm, no it doesn't

He is on the list of the top 50 (along with 3 other kids from Catholic schools who are also the correct age) for the U-19 Team USA. To be eligible you can not turn 19 before August 31st. SO....yes it does.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Your son must have skipped a grade. Kids born in May 2000 are 15 years old and going into 10th grade, unless they were held back to 9th grade.

So my son was born April 2001, he is going to be a freshman and plays 2019, If he was on Madlax or Crabs 2019 would where would he rank going oldest to youngest?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

So my son was born April 2001, he is going to be a freshman and plays 2019, If he was on Madlax or Crabs 2019 would where would he rank going oldest to youngest?

He would be going back to do another stint in 8th grade and now be a 2020.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I love the logic of we only have 2 and you have 4 and they have 6 so they are the bad guys and we are not. How many reclassed kids tried out for the FCA team I am guessing 2 or 3. That is the point tell me when your club had a reclass kid show up and the owners said you are to old please go play for the crabs. Then I will be impressed. Show me on your clubs website where it says only on age kids may play for my team. then you will get credit.

2 or 3 kids born before Sept of 2000. That does not mean that they have repeated a grade, just that they are old for their grade. My son was born in August of 2000 and I chose to have him be old for his grade 8 years ago, when he was in kindergarten. That is wildly different than repeating 8th grade or completely ignoring the rules and playing down a grade because you "are considering a PG year".

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

2 or 3 kids born before Sept of 2000. That does not mean that they have repeated a grade, just that they are old for their grade. My son was born in August of 2000 and I chose to have him be old for his grade 8 years ago, when he was in kindergarten. That is wildly different than repeating 8th grade or completely ignoring the rules and playing down a grade because you "are considering a PG year".

But you did not answer my question. Show me where it says only on age kids may play here. And did any reclass kids tryout for FCA and where they told they where told old? If you do not have a chance to cheat you can not say you do not cheat.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

there is no difference. ethically and morally it is wrong for older kids to play in teams and in leagues with younger kids.

weather a child's parents chose for him to stay back a grade in kindergarten or 8th grade it is the same thing...older vs. younger!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The intent may have not been the same, but the reality or fact remains the same. Older kid is going to have an advantage over younger kid. FCA has holdbacks also! They all do!

there is no difference. ethically and morally it is wrong for older kids to play in teams and in leagues with younger kids.

weather a child's parents chose for him to stay back a grade in kindergarten or 8th grade it is the same thing...older vs. younger!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Ummm, no it doesn't

Ummm, no it doesn't

He is on the list of the top 50 (along with 3 other kids from Catholic schools who are also the correct age) for the U-19 Team USA. To be eligible you can not turn 19 before August 31st. SO....yes it does.

UMMM, NO IT DOESN'T

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
UMMM, NO IT DOESN'T

Hard to argue with that logic...All caps. Quite impressive. I suppose US Lacrosse just decided to waive the U-19 rules for these kids only. Brilliant. Idiot.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

You did what Private schools call prefirst... Since he was a summer baby u held him back a grade year so he wouldnt be youngest in his class. If he donent play with his age group in youth , then he is no different than the other kids seeking an advantage at youth level.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
UMMM, NO IT DOESN'T

Hard to argue with that logic...All caps. Quite impressive. I suppose US Lacrosse just decided to waive the U-19 rules for these kids only. Brilliant. Idiot.

You're an idiot

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
UMMM, NO IT DOESN'T

You're an idiot

Please make your fight on here more entertaining to read. This is like listening to my 6 year old fight with the little girl next door. There are lots of things to make fun of each other about just read back a couple pages of post and there is plenty to find and pick out.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
^^^^ this guys is right. Better fights please. While I like the quick response, please make it Pithy.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
UMMM, NO IT DOESN'T

You're an idiot

Please make your fight on here more entertaining to read. This is like listening to my 6 year old fight with the little girl next door. There are lots of things to make fun of each other about just read back a couple pages of post and there is plenty to find and pick out.

was just having some fun, was seeing how long he would keep responding if that was my only response. I was not trying to comment on the Conrad kid's age, I was simply trying to point out if you had an August birthday, you could be 15 when you enter school and be 18 when you graduate. I was getting ready to hit him up with the Old Pete and Repete riddle and see how long that would go. I was thinking I could have three or four days out of that one.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
When do lacrosse parents and kids just give up? Never it seems. There are kids on Crabs 2016 who have already done the pre-first and / or repeat 8th grade, have needed to go through the prep school system in order to do all that, and still don't get recruited. No problem, commit to a PG year to drop down from 2016 to 2017 so that a college lacrosse coach will take you. Man, that is the extreme of the extremes. If you can't make a showing to stand out as a repeater, just keep spending $40K-$60K a year until it FINALLY works.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
When do lacrosse parents and kids just give up? Never it seems. There are kids on Crabs 2016 who have already done the pre-first and / or repeat 8th grade, have needed to go through the prep school system in order to do all that, and still don't get recruited. No problem, commit to a PG year to drop down from 2016 to 2017 so that a college lacrosse coach will take you. Man, that is the extreme of the extremes. If you can't make a showing to stand out as a repeater, just keep spending $40K-$60K a year until it FINALLY works.

I love how you ask when will parent's just give up and then proceed to offer the same diatribe that has been spewed 1000 times on the subject. Great fresh spin

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I love how you ask when will parent's just give up and then proceed to offer the same diatribe that has been spewed 1000 times on the subject. Great fresh spin

He has a point though- just how many times can you manipulate the system to get your kid noticed/recruited? At some point don't you think it hurts the kid and the parents have made some bad decisions. After all- not every kid that is left back will get recruited. It's a hard pill to swallow and I think the kid suffers the consequence, and yet the parents are to blame. As a parent I can't imagine having my kid repeat a grade and leaving HS knowing it was all in vain and nothing came from that life changing decision. It's definitely a risk and while it will pay off for some, it won't for all.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The investment made is staggering. Forget club lacrosse money to play for Crabs. Five years at an IAC prep school (Repeat 8th grade, then high school) at $40K a year. That doesn't work, arrange a PG year ($60K boarding school) so that a college coach will take the reclassified 2016 kid who he wouldn't recruit as a 2016 as a committed to be reclassified again PG 2017 class kid. Over a quarter of a million dollars in prep tuitions alone going into a kid's lacrosse career so he can go to a college that does not give athletic scholarships to be able to say D1 commit.

That seems rational.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Cheaper to just buy the kid a sports car and pay for college yourself.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The Edge player is born in 2000 as he plays hockey as well and in that sport you play your birth year no matter how many times u repeat a grade. Lacrosse should move to that system.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Why did USA Lacrosse move to a grade based system?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

US Lacrosse advocates age based -- http://www.uslacrosse.org/rules/age-eligibility-guidelines.aspx

"Leagues and associations should organize competition by age, and consider physical, cognitive, and emotional maturity when grouping players. For leagues or associations in which some local programs choose to organize their teams by grade, those teams should play in the age division determined by the oldest player on their roster. Teams organized by single birth year or single grade are suggested, but if a league needs to group two years/grades together it should strive to limit the maximum age difference between players in a youth game to no more than twenty-four (24) months."

However US Lacrosse can't enforce these guidelines other than in their own tournaments.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Tells you a lot about the level of respect and credibility US Lacrosse has with lacrosse club owners and event owners. The last time I needed my son's US Lacrosse member ID to register him for a team or an event was 1 1/2 years ago. U.S. lacrosse to me appears completely out of the picture in this sport. As parents we could ask our club owner why that is and if he would support doing US Lacrosse only sanctioned or compliant events. Not sure that would accomplish much, but at least we'd have an answer. Full disclosure, I emailed Ryan McClernan twice about this but he never replied.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

US Lacrosse advocates age based -- http://www.uslacrosse.org/rules/age-eligibility-guidelines.aspx

"Leagues and associations should organize competition by age, and consider physical, cognitive, and emotional maturity when grouping players. For leagues or associations in which some local programs choose to organize their teams by grade, those teams should play in the age division determined by the oldest player on their roster. Teams organized by single birth year or single grade are suggested, but if a league needs to group two years/grades together it should strive to limit the maximum age difference between players in a youth game to no more than twenty-four (24) months."

However US Lacrosse can't enforce these guidelines other than in their own tournaments.

Here's a laugh: I saw on social media last night the champion team from FCA for US Lacrosse's U-15 "national championship" tournament. Many of the boys we recognized are 2018 players, so likely would not be under 15. One boy had a full beard and mustache!!!!

Like Reply Quote
Page 59 of 128 1 2 57 58 59 60 61 127 128
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Link Copied to Clipboard