BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open for Registration on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted! | Invest for Growth - ADVERTISE with us!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
MD Girls 2028
by Anonymous -
Boys 2030 Midatlantic
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,812
Posts386,923
Members2,608
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 49 of 83 1 2 47 48 49 50 51 82 83
Re: Girls Spring 2014 High School Varsity Lacrosse
User
User
Originally Posted by Anonymous
I have read that money is not offered by colleges until senior year of high school, if that's true how does a 10th grade verbal know how much will be offered?

They know how much but it is not final until they sign. Verbal agreements can be pulled,but colleges need to be careful that they don't get aa reputation of doing that.
Verbals don't get pulled even when coaches change but the change sometimes leads to players backing out which is what the new coach wants most of the time anyway. Keep the grades up and your daughter will be fine

Verbal scholarships do get pulled! Especially when there is a coaching change. But as a previous poster mentioned it gives the coach and the school a negative aura for future commits so they try to honor most of them. However....they do in fact get pulled sometimes. With the coaching carousel in college lax it makes early commitments very risky!!!!!

Back of the Cage
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
As a whole, Long Island girls lacrosse seems to be headed into some lean years after 2015. The poster that said if a 7th grader is a difference maker your team is not good . Unfortunately for L.I. There are a lot of 7th grade difference makers on the horizon. Personally I think we should stop squabbling about this team or that and try to get the Island strong as a whole. Unfortunately you people are to petty and small to put such meager differences like who is got what pinnie on to see the bigger problem
Cold Spring Harbor pretty much took any girl who tried out for varsity this year. Kind of interesting that they took so many new girls since they lost zero starters.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by The Hop
I have read that money is not offered by colleges until senior year of high school, if that's true how does a 10th grade verbal know how much will be offered?

They know how much but it is not final until they sign. Verbal agreements can be pulled,but colleges need to be careful that they don't get aa reputation of doing that.
Verbals don't get pulled even when coaches change but the change sometimes leads to players backing out which is what the new coach wants most of the time anyway. Keep the grades up and your daughter will be fine

Verbal scholarships do get pulled! Especially when there is a coaching change. But as a previous poster mentioned it gives the coach and the school a negative aura for future commits so they try to honor most of them. However....they do in fact get pulled sometimes. With the coaching carousel in college lax it makes early commitments very risky!!!!!

Other than Shanon Smith do you know of any other coaches who reneged on verbal commitments, if you do why not let us know . I had that concern when my daughter commited early but was confident in that the coach has been a fixture at the school and they involve the AD in the discussion.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
As a whole, Long Island girls lacrosse seems to be headed into some lean years after 2015. The poster that said if a 7th grader is a difference maker your team is not good . Unfortunately for L.I. There are a lot of 7th grade difference makers on the horizon. Personally I think we should stop squabbling about this team or that and try to get the Island strong as a whole. Unfortunately you people are to petty and small to put such meager differences like who is got what pinnie on to see the bigger problem
Cold Spring Harbor pretty much took any girl who tried out for varsity this year. Kind of interesting that they took so many new girls since they lost zero starters.

A problem at of a lot of the schools my daughter knows kids on is there is 5-10 of really dedicated year round club players but then all the other girls that have played lacrosse when they are younger are quitting in High School. The girls who don't play travel seem to have given up on daily practices and then not getting enough playing time or passes of the ball. Teams were much better when they had great and good kids as opposed to now when they have great and weak kids.

Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE
[quote=Anonymous]I have read that money is not offered by colleges until senior year of high school, if that's true how does a 10th grade verbal know how much will be offered?

Other than Shanon Smith do you know of any other coaches who reneged on verbal commitments, if you do why not let us know . I had that concern when my daughter commited early but was confident in that the coach has been a fixture at the school and they involve the AD in the discussion.
[/quote

Tell us about SS, please.

I do know a teammate of my daughter who committed to a school (can't remember which but somewhere more south) and the coach left. The new coach said she was making all verbals try out, not honoring whatever deals had been cut with the former coach. Our teammate left and went elsewhere, not sure how it shook out for the other commits. That's the only time I've heard of something like this happening.

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Powderfinger
[quote=Anonymous][quote=Anonymous]I have read that money is not offered by colleges until senior year of high school, if that's true how does a 10th grade verbal know how much will be offered?

[/quote

I do know a teammate of my daughter who committed to a school (can't remember which but somewhere more south) and the coach left. The new coach said she was making all verbals try out, not honoring whatever deals had been cut with the former coach. Our teammate left and went elsewhere, not sure how it shook out for the other commits. That's the only time I've heard of something like this happening. [/quote

Disclaimer, as far as Shannon Smith , I do not have first hand knowledge of her reneging on the former coaches verbal commitments but have heard from several sources that she did. The story was told to me by a few people ,some of whom may have a motive to discredit her but the others had no obvious bias towards Shannon. Simply put the former coach had committed a certain percent scholarship to 2 girls Shannon did not feel were at that level ,she made them an offer she felt was more in line with their ability. One still went to Hofstra , one did not.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
26 girls is a lot?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Laura Campbell, former coach of CCSU offered and then pulled a scholarship from a friends daughter.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
[quote=Anonymous][quote=Anonymous]I have read that money is not offered by colleges until senior year of high school, if that's true how does a 10th grade verbal know how much will be offered?

[/quote

I do know a teammate of my daughter who committed to a school (can't remember which but somewhere more south) and the coach left. The new coach said she was making all verbals try out, not honoring whatever deals had been cut with the former coach. Our teammate left and went elsewhere, not sure how it shook out for the other commits. That's the only time I've heard of something like this happening. [/quote

Disclaimer, as far as Shannon Smith , I do not have first hand knowledge of her reneging on the former coaches verbal commitments but have heard from several sources that she did. The story was told to me by a few people ,some of whom may have a motive to discredit her but the others had no obvious bias towards Shannon. Simply put the former coach had committed a certain percent scholarship to 2 girls Shannon did not feel were at that level ,she made them an offer she felt was more in line with their ability. One still went to Hofstra , one did not.

If you do not have first hand knowledge then why mention it.
Also from what you said the Verbal commitments were honored the terms may have changed.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

[/quote

If you do not have first hand knowledge then why mention it.
Also from what you said the Verbal commitments were honored the terms may have changed.

The only way to have first hand knowledge would be to be either Shannon or the parent of the kid, it was mentioned because that is what people are discussing. If a coach reneges on an earlier scholarship offer by offering less and you believe that is honoring the Verbal Commitment then you are obviously a Shannon Smith homer. Verbal commitments are made with terms attached , if you change the terms you are not honoring the original verbal commitment which is a dishonorable thing to do.

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
Re: 2015 GIRLS High School Varsity Lacrosse
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
How did the CSH vs. St. A's scrimmage go? Any takeaways?

Thread has been changed from 2014 to 2015. Happy posting!!

Last edited by The Hop; .
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
all the goalies played great. CC was unstoppable first few minutes. it was well played

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

If SA had any trouble with CSH they're in for a long season

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Are the games going to be played tomorrow in the snow?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Who are the top 10 -15 teams in Suffolk County?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Here's nine off the top of my head, in no particular order....

Middle Country
West Islip
Smithtown East
Huntington
Eastport
Sayville
Bayport
Hauppauge
Mt. Sinai

Probably missing a few, please don't take offense, just couldn't think of them.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I guess St. A's is in for a difficult season then smirk whatever...heard it was 8-8...

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
CSH is a very solid team...

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
it was a scrimmage which is often as used to test out new players and give all the girls an opportunity to prove themselves. I wouldn't put too much stock in it. CSH isn't the weak team another poster claimed, but I don't think St. A's is as strong as some would like to think either.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Doesn't Cold Spring Harbor have around 13 girls committed to play Division I? I would expect these teams to compete with each other.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I love how on these sites everyone likes to define and explain what a scrimmage is and what its for. yes. Thank you. Is it a game, no. But you can gauge a little about the teams and how they compete...

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

If SA had any trouble with CSH they're in for a long season [/quote]

Silly statement CSH is in the argument for #2 in Nassau behind Manhasset

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Silly statement CSH is in the argument for #2 in Nassau behind Manhasset [/quote]

Manhasset is the lead in Nassau but the fight for number 2 should hopefully provide some exciting viewing a shot here or there a call or no call. Should be some great games.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
yes, CSH, GC and Wantagh are All very good

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
W Babylon @ W I cancelled today and moved to tomorrow at 4.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Once they move back to respective conferences for playoffs, CSH should win the C's easily. Manhasset is the big favorite in the B's with GC and Wantagh fighting for 2nd....followed by North Shore and Long Beach..IMO

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Once they move back to respective conferences for playoffs, CSH should win the C's easily. Manhasset is the big favorite in the B's with GC and Wantagh fighting for 2nd....followed by North Shore and Long Beach..IMO

HUGE falloff in B after the Manhasset, GC and Wantagh

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I have to check the scores from last year but if I am correct Wantagh blew out North Shore last season 6-5!!!
This year you won't get a good look at North Shore for a few weeks due to the BBall season ending upstate yesterday. Those players need to get Lax practices before they can start the season. I see it as SET and then the rest of you. Go SET

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I have to check the scores from last year but if I am correct Wantagh blew out North Shore last season 6-5!!!
This year you won't get a good look at North Shore for a few weeks due to the BBall season ending upstate yesterday. Those players need to get Lax practices before they can start the season. I see it as SET and then the rest of you. Go SET

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

The North shores, Long Beaches and Plainedgs are always the sacrificial lambs come playoff time to the Manhasset and Garden City

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

From a Wantagh Parent can not consider 6-5 a blow out in Girls lax imo any game within 3 goals is any teams game. NS last year ws a good game

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
now that tryouts are completed.....How many 7th & 8th graders made their town Varsity teams?

I know of a few. Some were sought after by JV/varsity coaches and will get a good amount of playing time and will definitely contribute, don't know if they will be "difference makers" or not but certainly won't hurt the teams they are playing for. All the schools are smaller and not the "top" team. Then you have some players whose parents requested they be given the test and went to coach/AD. My guess is they made it to just make their annoying parents go away. Hope the parents of these kids realize this is not longer youth or club. There is no guarantee of playing time and certainly not equal playing time. Only time will tell if these kids will contribute to the game or to keeping the bench warm.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Here's nine off the top of my head, in no particular order....

Middle Country
West Islip
Smithtown East
Huntington
Eastport
Sayville
Bayport
Hauppauge
Mt. Sinai

Probably missing a few, please don't take offense, just couldn't think of them.

No offense taken. It was an honest question, I did not know who the strong teams are.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
now that tryouts are completed.....How many 7th & 8th graders made their town Varsity teams?

I know of a few. Some were sought after by JV/varsity coaches and will get a good amount of playing time and will definitely contribute, don't know if they will be "difference makers" or not but certainly won't hurt the teams they are playing for. All the schools are smaller and not the "top" team. Then you have some players whose parents requested they be given the test and went to coach/AD. My guess is they made it to just make their annoying parents go away. Hope the parents of these kids realize this is not longer youth or club. There is no guarantee of playing time and certainly not equal playing time. Only time will tell if these kids will contribute to the game or to keeping the bench warm.

I certainly see your point dismissing youth lacrosse, but certainly don't dismiss the club lacrosse if they are playing top team on top club. The 8th grade top club teams would crush many/most varsity teams.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I think North Shore was in B for the first time last season.
I think that they were Nassau County Champs for three years before in C over Cold Spring Harbor.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I certainly see your point dismissing youth lacrosse, but certainly don't dismiss the club lacrosse if they are playing top team on top club. The 8th grade top club teams would crush many/most varsity teams.

Actually Wasn't dismissing club at all, most top teams are really good. Point was not everyone is "paying the same price" therefore on JV/varsity you're not guaranteed playing time!!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I think you are off with your assessment on how well 8th graders at club level would do. Most 8th graders cannot physically compete at that level. Sorry but have girls that play at both age groups (8th and 12th grade) 8th grader is a top player on top club. Can't compare w varsity girls. Varsity play is too physical...

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I think you are off with your assessment on how well 8th graders at club level would do. Most 8th graders cannot physically compete at that level. Sorry but have girls that play at both age groups (8th and 12th grade) 8th grader is a top player on top club. Can't compare w varsity girls. Varsity play is too physical...

Way off? This isn't guess work, this is reality from winter leagues. The top clubs put the top teams (8th and 9th grade) in the varsity divisions against HS teams, and they are right in step. Half the girls on those travel teams will be the all county, all American, top recruits, etc.... HS gets s handful of the elite and has to fill in the cracks.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Way off? This isn't guess work, this is reality from winter leagues. The top clubs put the top teams (8th and 9th grade) in the varsity divisions against HS teams, and they are right in step. Half the girls on those travel teams will be the all county, all American, top recruits, etc.... HS gets s handful of the elite and has to fill in the cracks.

Indoor is not Varsity lacrosse. It's played on a smaller field. Not all the best teams, or best players play indoor in the winter. They play other HS sports.

You'll see the difference once they are outdoors. Good luck.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

If your 8th grader can't compete with varsity players than she is not a top player on a top team.

Page 49 of 83 1 2 47 48 49 50 51 82 83

Link Copied to Clipboard